I have a lot of plans for this house, especially for the outside- it is in desperate need of some landscaping, and possibly better exterior paint colors (...eventually...). And at some point I'll post some pictures of the inside, once we get a few more projects done (and boxes unpacked). But, for now, this is what we call home.
And this home of ours has an interesting history. Its former (and only) owner was previously the mayor of Naperville. When I first learned that, I thought, "well, that's neat". But I know there have been many mayors, so I didn't think it was that notable. Little did I know...
Mayor Chester Rybicki, the previous owner of our home, stands on the right in this statue in downtown Naperville.
In my last post I mentioned the beautiful Riverwalk that runs through the downtown area of our city. Mayor Rybicki is considered to be one of the the men that helped make it happen. Before the Riverwalk, the banks of the river running through Naperville were apparently an unsightly mess- oil tanks, salt piles, trash. But Mayor Rybicki envisioned cleaning up the banks of the river and turning them into a beautiful walking path, and he helped see that vision into fruition. Many today consider the Riverwalk to be one of the town's main attractions.
He was known for being very active in the community; even after his time as mayor, he continued to serve and participate in discussions and planning. And our neighbors have shared that "Chet" was a very kind and friendly man. You can read a bit more about him (and see video) here.
As I've read and learned about Mayor Rybicki, I can't help but feel a little more attached to our house and the history that it has. It is a modest house (I believe you've seen the pictures of the former kitchen), but that's what I love- I always imagine people in positions of power living in grand, over-the-top homes. Ours is certainly more than sufficient, but it is also simple and homey. The kitchen and some of the upstairs bath are now updated, but aside from a cozy family room addition the mayor added in (approximately) the 1980s, the house is mostly original from when it was built in 1960; no fancy remodels or renovations.
![]() |
| The former kitchen You have to admit it looked pretty great for being 50 |
Mr. Rybicki was mayor during Naperville's largest period of growth, and he was an important part of making this a bright, lively town. I hope we bring life and joy to this house that would have made him proud.





How interesting that they really did minimal modifications to the house. But that's kind of typical of the previous generation: you bought what you bought and you left it like that. Except for the wallpaper. Always add wallpaper.
ReplyDeleteBTW, I like the exterior colours. Landscaping will take time, but it'll come.
Thankfully they had the interiors completely repainted, so if there was any wallpaper, it is no longer.
DeleteI find the exterior to be too much tan. I actually really like the color of the brick, but I don't like the darker paint color- I think it's too green and gives it that "poopy" shade. :P I'm also not a fan of the maroon door. I'd really love to do a light blue/gray on most of the house. I just haven't decided what the accent color(s) would be.