Drew is venturing into the world of solid foods. We've been feeding him rice cereal since the day after Christmas and he's really been enjoying that. Even during the very first feeding he was grabbing for the spoon and trying to feed himself. And since then, as soon as I set the bowl full of cereal on his high chair tray he starts going "ooo ooo" and reaching for the spoon.
But rice cereal is apparently a bit... for lack of a more delicate word... constipating. We've been having issues in that area so I thought adding some veggies might help. The doc recommended moving from cereal to veggies anyway; she says babies pretty much all love fruits, so we're better off starting him on veggies to try to get him to like them (I honestly can see the logic both ways... since he's not used to different flavors, why not start him with something he WILL like as a way to introduce him to foods that taste different so he'll be more open to the flavor of veggies?)
In any case we opted for green beans. And he... well... you can take a look...
| Maybe the bib tastes better... |
| Green bean goatee? |
| I still love to smile for the camera! |
He was gagging on them! After I added a little breastmilk to thin them out and give them a bit of a familiar taste he did a little better, but overall green beans were not a favorite. I've read many times that it takes 15-21 times of feeding a baby something new before you (or even they) know whether they like it or not. That's good because I made a lot of green beans!
I know, I know... there I am trying to be "supermom" again... or perhaps just trying to be frugal. Either way, I've decided I want to make Drew's baby food at home. It seems so much healthier, cheaper, better for the environment with less packaging, and really it was quite easy- steam up some frozen green beans (did you know that frozen veggies likely have more nutrients than the fresh veggies you buy? They are flash frozen at the peak of freshness where fresh veggies are actually likely a few days old, and with each passing day they lose some of their valuable nutrition), throw them in a blender with some of the steaming liquid, liquefy, pour in ice cube trays and freeze! Now all we have to do is heat up one or two cubes when we're ready to feed him! I have to laugh at my little green ice cubes though...
I think sweet potatoes are next on the menu...
P.S. The third photo down in the green bean line-up is one of my favoritest photos ever!!
Hey, did you taste them before he did? Lol. They are all great pictures, and I think the third one has the funniest expression I have ever seen on him.
ReplyDeleteIt's not easy being green ... Kermit the Frog
ReplyDeleteI did actually! I thought they tasted pretty good and actually fairly sweet!
ReplyDeleteI know I loved that expression in the third photo!
ReplyDeleteYup, third picture says, 'WTF, Mom?" He'll get used to the taste -- it's just something new.
ReplyDeleteI'm wondering what the sound effects were for photo #6! :) If he wasn't so cute, I think I'd lose my green beans!LOL
ReplyDeletePat
That is a great series of pictures! He definitely has a look of "why are you doing this to me, mom??" Although it's a testament to how cute he is that even with green goo all over his face I'm still more than happy to look at the pictures over and over again. Hopefully he'll learn to love his veggies soon!
ReplyDelete