Our typical day consists of these oh-so-fun activities...
Playing with toys- stackable cups, blocks, balls, stuffed animals, puppets, etc.
Playing with non-toys- the foods in the pantry, the pots and pans, even the recycling bin sometimes (cans make fun noises).
Going for walks up and down the street (Drew doing the walking) or around the house when it's ridiculously hot outside.
I try to change it up and get out of the house from time to time....
We run errands.
We go to the park.
We took swim lessons.
But it's just. too. HOT outside for getting out and about. I went to the park at 6:30 pm and had sweat dripping (yes, DRIPPING, that doesn't happen to me!) down just about every bit of my skin. My shirt even had that sexy wet trail between my boobs! Fabulous!
We've tried a few creative activities...
We've painted (fun for every once in a while, but not every day!!)
We've colored (he was NOT interested)
We've tried play-dough, bubbles, even bowls of water to play with.
All are fun, but haven't really captured his attention for more than... oh... 2 minutes?
What else is there to do? I don't mind messy! I would love any kind of suggestions you have! Indoor activities at home? Places to take him (that are suitable for a one-year-old)? Things we can do together? Things he can do alone so I get some household things done?
What do you do with a one year old??
We run errands.
We go to the park.
We took swim lessons.
But it's just. too. HOT outside for getting out and about. I went to the park at 6:30 pm and had sweat dripping (yes, DRIPPING, that doesn't happen to me!) down just about every bit of my skin. My shirt even had that sexy wet trail between my boobs! Fabulous!
We've tried a few creative activities...
We've painted (fun for every once in a while, but not every day!!)
We've colored (he was NOT interested)
We've tried play-dough, bubbles, even bowls of water to play with.
All are fun, but haven't really captured his attention for more than... oh... 2 minutes?
What else is there to do? I don't mind messy! I would love any kind of suggestions you have! Indoor activities at home? Places to take him (that are suitable for a one-year-old)? Things we can do together? Things he can do alone so I get some household things done?
What do you do with a one year old??
![]() |
| Beautiful photo thanks to Doll Eye's Photography You can just tell Drew's ready to move! |

Water. Just ... water. In a bucket, in a bowl, in a squirt gun, in a little wading pool, in towels, in blankets. Coloured, with bubbles ... Almost anything, add water and it will be fun.
ReplyDeleteNext: washable markers and paper. Play-doh.
Haha, I'd say it should be markers and play-doh first, then water! ;) And funny you say that because today after his nap I just filled up the bathtub, gave him a bunch of toys, and he flung them around in the water for a good half hour (standing outside the tub, not in it). He squealed and laughed... I blew bubbles. It was fun. Wet, of course, but fun. I never thought to do the bathtub since that usually means bath time, and bath time means soap, wash cloth, towel, lotion, diaper change, etc. But taking off the clothes and just letting him splash from the outside was easy and fun.
ReplyDeleteI was going to say water too. In fact, I want to get a little baby pool for when you guys visit us so Drew can splash away in the backyard while we drink margaritas, hahaha!
ReplyDelete