Funny to hear yourself coming out of your child's mouth... and how horrible it can sound! You can guess what word he has been hearing a lot of lately... (and no, I don't mean "why"... though that will be fun later...). I'm really not sure why he starts slapping his leg while saying it... I promise we don't hit. We haven't even spanked him. (And no, I'm not opening discussion on behavior management techniques... just saying).
I have learned that the best way to prevent kids from saying "no" all the time is to avoid saying it yourself- to find a way to rephrase the "no" into a "yes". But let's be honest, "no" is the quickest, easiest way to get to the point. Especially if your child is about to climb up to the hot stove top, or yank the angry cat's tail, or pinch his Mommy...
And I've been finding it kind of amusing lately to watch him actually express opinions using "no". The other day Jason offered Drew a bite of macaroni and cheese, which Drew happily ate. I then offered a bite of mashed potatoes. He looked at the fork, then shook his head and matter-of-factly said "No. No. No." and turned back to Jason for more macaroni.
I'd say a few "no"s sprinkled between the "bless you"s and "thank you"s is okay.
No comments:
Post a Comment