Sunday, March 10, 2013

Life according to me

It's been a while since I've written a wordy post about what we're up to these days. So here's the scoop:

Me: I'm doing all right. Sometimes I feel like I'll never quite get the hang of this, but we're getting there.  Mothers of more than two: how on earth do you do it!? Currently I'm out of work until the end of April. I'll only be back to work for about a month before summer vacation. I'm hoping I can use this time (and summer after) to get myself back to baseline. Stacey and I have been back to running. I initially started running after Drew was born as a way to help increase lung function and bone density (did you know running helps with that?), so I'm back at it with the same goals in mind. In order to make sure we DO IT, though, we did a couple of things: a) we've picked a race to train for, b) we made sure we have jogging strollers for all 3 kiddos so we can run even if the hubbies are at work, and c) we bought rain covers for the strollers so we have NO EXCUSES! (That's our motto now!)

[Picture to come... I swear I'm going to get a picture of us and the kiddos and strollers!]

Drew: He is developing more and more of an imagination and starting to enjoy playing by himself a bit now. I'll be busy cooking dinner or washing dishes and I'll hear him in the other room making up conversations between inanimate objects (usually cars). I'll tell ya' that it can be pretty horrifying to hear "yourself" acted out by your two-year-old son. :-/ Drew is also completely enthralled with his little brother. He comes up with a new nickname for him on a daily hourly basis. Today's nicknames included brownie (because he was wearing brown), kicky, ditty (?), and... oh there were so many I can't remember. He always says, "hi, [insert nickname]" then says "now you say 'hi, [insert nickname] to him!". He also is pretty much constantly in James' face making loud nonsense noises (again- seeing myself from my two-year-old's point of view). I've recently been telling Drew he can actually say words to James; he doesn't always have to spew silly sounds at him. Below is a video of Drew making noises at James.



James: James is getting better at rolling onto his tummy, and though he has rolled back over a handful of times (and just recently did a few rolls in the same direction moving himself across the floor), he has yet to master the reversal skills, so we're in the phase of short naps and nighttime waking because he'll roll himself onto his tummy then wake up MAD! We got a few giggles out of him a couple of weeks ago, but I haven't heard them again recently. I seem to remember this strange trend with Drew of learning a new skill then temporarily forgetting it only to rediscover it again. I'm certainly impatient to get those laughs back- baby laughs cure everything! The video below isn't laughs, but he is still pretty darn adorable!



Jason: He has a new job! This was an answer to prayers. We were both tired of the varying schedule and the late nights and weekend hours that came with his job at the golf course, so Jason had been looking around for something new. As luck would have it (or as God would have it, I should say), Jason accepted a job offer to do telecommunications/engineering/computer-aided-design work and was going to start this past Monday; he showed up to find out that someone was supposed to have contacted him (and another guy who was there) to let them know that they weren't supposed to come in until Wednesday. That same night Jason got a call with an offer to do the same work but for more money, and completely from home (with the company he's done contract work for for years)! Talk about God working in our lives! Jason felt bad walking away from the first job after having accepted the position, but he made a better choice for our family. Spring was always really hard for us with his late hours (due to later sunset) and my early ones- we barely got an hour together before I would have to head to bed- so things should be a bit easier now when I head back to work. Our biggest issue will be finding ways to keep the kiddos from distracting him when they're home since we don't have an actual room for his office- just an open room that's supposed to be a sitting/formal living room.

Two of my sweeties

That's life according to me right now! Come back for more!

3 comments:

  1. Your babies are SO cute!

    Glad Jason resolved the job issue. I think the fact that the first employer failed to contact him about when to show up indicates that that employer is disorganized and possibly disrespectful of its employees. Not a good sign.

    Many work-from-home parents employ part-time help. Of course, having a private workspace makes a big difference. Could he set up an office in the basement?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately there's no basement. Once I go back to work James and Drew will both go to preschool/day care full time. But while I'm home (now and again during summer) it will just be a matter of finding things to keep them occupied and out of Daddy's hair (I've told Jason he's going to have to help me with this- he can't "reward" Drew by playing with him then get frustrated that Drew doesn't stay away).

      Delete
  2. And I actually was a nanny for two summers in high school for a work-from-home mom who needed help keeping the kids entertained while she worked.

    ReplyDelete