Saturday, October 26, 2013

Choo choo!

I am so excited that on Wednesday this week I will be flying to San Francisco to spend some time with my sister, Laura! It's been almost two years since our adventure to Peru so it's definitely time for these sisters to get into some trouble.

I will, however, be missing Halloween with my boys. I kind of figured since I already missed a Christmas, a Halloween sure wasn't going to hurt, but I was kind of sad because I had already made plans for cute costumes. So I decided to go ahead and put the costumes together and go to a free trick-or-treating event today at a local park.

The costume started with the discovery of a forgotten pair of striped overalls in Drew's closet that looked just like train conductor overalls. What could be more perfect for my Thomas-obsessed three-year-old?? The next day we happened to come across a train conductor hat and scarf set for only $7 at the pumpkin patch near our house. Apparently it was meant to be!


But I'm kind of obsessed with theme costumes, so of course I had to come up with something James could be that would go along with Drew. A train, of course! But not just any train, JAMES the train!

Hands busy with a snack so they're
not busy pulling out "smoke"!

I honestly love crafting so I had a blast putting the train together, though I highly underestimated the amount of spray paint it would take to cover a measly little cardboard box (2 full cans!). Thanks to the help of a Cricut, an automatic die-cutting machine, I cut out the 5s and the wheels (I bought shiny gold and black scrapbook paper at Hobby Lobby). I covered a stacking cup toy piece with more gold paper for the funnel and stuffed in some fiber fill for smoke. I used a simple tap light for the front headlight, with some yellow electrical tape to cover the white rim. A black paint pen finished off the details. I wish I'd made the front of the train just a bit shorter so James could have seen out of it better, but you make the best guesses you can while your children are sleeping.

James the train sitting atop his replica

Certainly not an exact replica.
Creative liberties were taken.

The train did have a little black roof, but it could only be put on after James was in, and even then it didn't last long. 

The trick-or-treating at the park was cute. There was a pathway with little "houses" all along where teen volunteers were handing out candy.



We enjoyed the sites at the park, too.




See the roof?/'

And, of course, you can't go to the park without playing on the playground. Especially not when the playground is covered in superheroes and interesting creatures!



Some face-painting and arts and crafts finished off the afternoon.

A train!


So now I get to have my OWN Halloween fun with my sister for an adults evening at the Exploratorium in SF. Any suggestions for sister costumes that would be cute and simple?

1 comment:

  1. Their costumes turned out so well!! These are great pictures too. I can't wait to craft some of our own costumes! :)

    ReplyDelete