Sunday, August 30, 2015

"You're getting up there..."

"You're getting up there for having cystic fibrosis." This was a rather impolite comment I recently received from a dermatologist who was obviously rather lacking in the bedside manners department. It was wrong to say, not just because it was rude, but because it's actually not so true anymore. When I was diagnosed, my parents learned that the life expectancy for someone with CF was about 14. But in my lifetime alone, that number has more than doubled because of the amazing work the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation has done funding research that has led to new treatments for this life-shortening disease. My dermatologist is not the only one behind the times (though maybe the only one so rude about it). I've surprised doctors in many fields with the fact that I'm not only a relatively healthy adult with CF, but that I'm married, I have kids, I work, I run, and I lead a very normal life. And I smile ear to ear every time I smash through the stereotype of CF being a childhood disease and get the opportunity to teach people just what the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation has done for people like me and my sister.

I would be lying if I said I lead a completely normal life. I take handfuls of pills multiple times a day. I spend up to 2 hours a day doing breathing treatments. I often have battles with pharmacies and insurance companies to try and get necessary medications or treatments. I spend a good portion of a day every three months trekking into the city for my quarterly appointments. And don't forget the yearly x-rays, DEXA scans, glucose tolerance tests, blood work... I don't say any of this to complain; I say it to make people aware that, although life for those with CF is better, it still isn't perfect. There's still a lot of room for improvement.

And that's where you come in. The CF Foundation supports some pretty amazing research to make life longer and easier for those with CF. In fact, I'm currently participating in a study for an exciting new drug that could have a real impact for a lot of people with CF. But there would be no new studies, no new drugs, no hopes for a cure, if it weren't for your donations. Your support allows for that life expectancy number to continue to grow, and for more people with CF to be able to smash through those stereotypes.

I am currently training to run my second half marathon in November. It's been quite a while since I ran my first one, so I need a lot of work. But with every step, and every mile, and every breath, I will be getting stronger, and I will be helping to make CF stand for "cure found". Please cheer me on by making a donation that will support me, my sister, and the 30,000 people living with cystic fibrosis in the United States!

If you would like to cheer me on by making a donation, you can go to my page here or you can contact me by email, Facebook, or simply leaving me a message here to find out how you can contribute. If nothing else, your prayers are always welcome and greatly appreciated, and feel free to share my page!

No comments:

Post a Comment