Saturday, August 27, 2011

A day in the life of...

Maybe you've noticed my absence?  Perhaps a little peek into a day in the life of Diane might give you a clue why...

1. Wake up at 5:45
2. Shower, dress, make up my face
3. Make and eat breakfast
4. Lug all my stuff to the car (2 compressors, lunch, water bottles, purse, etc.)
5. Hit the road by 6:45
6. Drive while sitting in traffic and doing meds
7. Arrive at work (by 7:30)
8. Run around at work
9. Leave work (3:30) and drive to daycare to pick up Drew
10. Return home with Drew (by 4:30)
11. Lug in all my stuff AND Drew's stuff while leaving car running for Drew
12. Bring in Drew (doing this the other way around results in ear piercing and heart breaking cries)
13. Feed us a snack
14. Drew plays (aka screams because he doesn't want to be put down) while I put away all our stuff that was lugged inside
15. Both play together
16. Start making dinner (somewhere between 5:45 and 6:00)
17. Eat that dinner (oh wait, I mean pick up the dinner Drew throws on the floor while I try to eat and ignore the screaming)
18. Clean up the baby (more screaming)
20. Play with Drew or bathe Drew
21. Put him to bed (8:00)
22. Change into PJs and wash my face (but my night's not over!)
23. Pack my lunch for the next day
24. Wash dishes, high chair tray, bib, counters, floor (well, the sticky stuff Lucy didn't get...)
25. Put away everything else from the day's events
26. Do meds
27. Say hi to Jason for 15 minutes when he gets home from work
28. Go to bed (I don't even look at the time by this point)

I don't write this to complain. I am happy. Yes, I wish my schedule wasn't so packed (and rigid!), and I wish Jason and I worked similar schedules so we'd both be home in the evenings, but really we've got it pretty good. Our awkward work schedule (me working all day, Jason closing) means Drew gets a lot of time at home with at least one of us (actually, mostly with only one of us...). He gets some social interaction and learning time at preschool for about 4 hours, 4 days a week, which is great! But I still feel like he's being raised by his parents and not by a "stranger". It also saves us money (which we don't seem to have a lot of... ever...).

So you'll have to excuse my absence. I get about 40 minutes of "me" time a day (see #26) and I use that time to browse the internet while allowing my brain to chill. Trying to download my swirling thoughts into words most evenings seems almost impossible... worse, even, the thought of tracking down my camera, USB cord, and downloading/sorting/editing photos to post.

I do have a few things I want to write about, though, and some pics and videos to post, and some free time right now, so perhaps you will see a bit more from me this week.... but no promises.

2 comments:

  1. Thank goodness there are weekends to try and recover somewhat from the daily grinds of parenthood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is quite a hectic schedule! I definitely enjoy the 40 minutes of "me" time when I'm doing meds too. It's just nice to turn your brain off for a few minutes. I hope you find some time to relax on weekends too. :)
    ~Laura

    ReplyDelete