Thursday, September 5, 2013

Movin' Mama

I hit the gym for the second time in a week yesterday! Yay me! While I was there, for some reason I got nostalgic remembering the days when Jason and I used to go work out together... you know... before kids. I'd come home from work to our little one-bedroom apartment in Tucker, we'd chill for a bit (or something like that- I don't even remember anymore, which is the point I'll get to later), then hit the gym. Then we'd head home to make dinner (or, more often than we should have, undid our work by hitting our favorite Mexican restaurant on the way home). Once we moved to our house here we even signed up for joint personal training sessions and continued them through the first couple weeks of my pregnancy with Drew (in fact, we still have some remaining sessions to use!).

The memories made me smile, but I had to laugh at the fact that, even though we did go a LOT more often than we do now (obviously- this is my first time in the gym in over a year!), there were still many MANY times we missed the gym because we were just too tired or too busy. What I find the funniest is that I can not for the life of me now think of what would have made me tired or busy! And it's not that I didn't have valid reasons for feeling that way, or that I'm saying that any of you out there that don't have kids but don't get to the gym as frequently as you'd like (or feel busy all the time) don't have legitimate excuses, but what I find funny is that I just can't seem to even remember what life was actually like before kids. I imagine that I must have had all this free time, but I sure as heck don't remember that being the case. Life seemed pretty darn busy then and I remember always feeling like I never had enough time to do everything. But I just can't remember what I filled my days with before these little scampering feet joined our household.

I guess the difference is that maybe life really was busy then and now it's just chaotic?

In any case, I'm trying to find the time to start taking care of myself again. This isn't a first on this blog- you've seen me work my way up to a half marathon after Drew came along. So far all attempts towards that same goal have been thwarted by illness, weather, logistics (2 moms and 3 kids??), and equipment malfunctions (flat jogging stroller tires, to be exact). Stacey and I didn't give up on that goal without a pretty big fight, and we still haven't laid it to rest, but for now I'm trying to find a schedule and routine that will help me get back to moving both for my health and my sanity. I've found a line up of classes at the same time each day that works both with my work schedule as well as the boys' schedules. The fact that it's the same time each day should help because of the predictability- no trying to remember a schedule or forgetting what day it is, no surprises realizing I'm supposed to be at the gym but don't have enough time to get ready. I can pick up and go right after naps on any day of the week. Obviously the childcare helps, too, and Drew also LOVES going to the gym, so there's an added incentive right there!

Last night called for some Zumba! It was a first for me, but I had a GREAT time! I WILL be going back to that class! :) I'm also looking forward to some yoga later this week!

1 comment: