Anyways, all of that is beside the point. In the book a doctor is mentioned in passing; her name was Dr. Wolfenden. I used to see a Dr. Wolfenden at the Emory CF Center here in Atlanta. It struck me as an odd name, and seemed even more interesting that she was a female, like my own doctor. I figured it was kind of a coincidence, until I noticed that the author lives here in Atlanta.
Dr. Wolfenden was head of the Emory CF program until she was diagnosed with breast cancer. She passed away last year, the year the book was published. I just HAD to know if the small mention in the book was a tribute to her... so I decided to be crazy and email the author's website.
Sure enough, I got this response:
Not a silly question at all! Emily was dear friends with Dr. Wolfenden from Atlanta. They have children around the same age that attend the same school. Very observant! :) Thanks for writing!How about that! I was so surprised (that I even got a response in the first place!), I just had to share!
Thank you Dr. Wolfenden for all you did. We miss you! And thank you Ms. Giffin for recognizing an amazing woman!
Wow ... very small world.
ReplyDeleteGood eyes! and good follow-through Diane! Great that you clued in to the author's tribute to her, and then gave your own tribute to the doctor as well!
ReplyDeleteAnd yes, small world indeed!
Pat