Monday, February 6, 2012

Monday Minute: Words

At our 18 month check up the doctor asked if Drew can say "at least 10-20" words. I said "yes!" but after the appointment wondered just how many words he can say. Jason and I started listing them off and stopped when we got to 50... my little boy is definitely a chatter box!

Drew's favorite words are...
sun
turtle
flower 
kitty
Rico
car ("boom boom" for vroom vroom)

He's had this "First Words" book for a while. We don't read it a lot, so I was shocked to realize he actually knows all the words in the book!


The next step will be making phrases. He has a few memorized phrases like "bless you", "thank you", and "help me" but doesn't really put two words together on his own yet. He did surprise me by pointing to a picture of our friends' baby girl, Avery, and saying "baby Avwee!".

Language teaching being my area of "expertise" I really find it fascinating watching him learn to talk. The most interesting thing is how he learns words that make me wonder where he learned them. Not bad words, or even weird words, but simple, every day words that you say in passing but don't really "teach". Words like pocket or door.

I've heard people say "you spend the first year teaching your kid to walk and talk, then the next 17 teaching them to sit down and shut up". I understand the sentiment, but I am honestly excited to hear what my little boy has to say!

No comments:

Post a Comment