Friday, June 1, 2012

12 things update

I was thinking June 1st is the halfway point of the year, but Jason says that would technically be the end of June because then 6 months are completed, and I guess that's true, but I'm doing a 12 things update anyway. And I guess it's good that it's not quite the halfway point because I'm not quite halfway done with my list. So far I've completed 5 items on my list...


I'm going to go ahead and warn you that I have some funky spacing issues going on here and I cannot figure out how to close up some of these gaps. Perhaps if I knew more HTML (and by more I mean any).


#1. Go on a trip with Jason. It wasn't an "alone" trip because we went with friends, but it was sans Drew. We love our boy, of course, but it is nice to get away every once in a while. And it sure was strange being able to sleep in, eat when I wanted (2:00 lunch? No worries!), stay up late... No margaritas, unfortunately, but it was still a lot of fun!




#5. Have a picnic.







#7. Get a physical.  No pics. Sorry...?

#11. Send a snail mail letter to a friend.






That's a Circle Jouney (why it's not called a Circle Journal, I don't know- that's what I always call it). It's a cute little notebook that comes with envelopes, stickers, etc. so you and a friend can mail it back and forth. But don't go looking for one; they don't make them anymore. And apparently I found THE last one on eBay (in other words I got really lucky). My best friend, Stacey, and I shared one the year that I lived in Singapore. We did a couple of rounds, but one day it just never showed up. Stacey sent it off and I never received it. To this day we wonder where it went and wish we could read the silly things we wrote.

Anyway, when I thought about writing a snail mail letter to a friend, I remembered that journal and thought how fun it would be to do one with my sister now that we live on opposite sides of the country. I searched and found this one, then I decorated it all pretty and sent it off! Yay!

#12. Read 4 books 
     

       
           


      Diane's bookshelf
   


 

   
This Beautiful Life

   
The Mezzanine

   
Arcadia

   
Pride and Prejudice

   
Water for Elephants

   
Something Blue

   
Something Borrowed

   
The Color Purple

   
Baby Proof

   
Love the One You're With

   
Good in Bed

   
Heart of the Matter

   
Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back

   
Mockingjay

   
Catching Fire

   
The Hunger Games

   
Jane Eyre

   

Diane's favorite books »
 
 


     

     



Okay, so.... I read 4 books in the first month. Obviously 4 books wasn't a large enough goal. I've now read 17. It helps that I got a Kindle for Christmas. But the reason I started with such a low number in the first place is because even though I claim to love reading, I don't actually read all that often. I'm just not able to function well as an adult when I'm preoccupied with a book. Jason usually hates me because I ignore everything around me (including feeding myself- and that's really a big disaster waiting to happen). Unfortunately I have a toddler who needs my love and attention (or, at the very least, to be fed), so putting my nose in books hasn't been happening a whole lot lately, until recently... (no worries, though, no reading while I'm with Drew! He's getting plenty of my love and attention... and food!)

So I've upped my goal to 50 books, just for fun. I doubt I'll accomplish that since I'm already 3 books behind and I have another little one on the way, but we'll see!

So I have a few more that I should be working on this summer, and if they don't get done... well... we'll see... The ice cream truck one is apparently going to be difficult, though, as the truck apparently comes between 8 and 8:30 every evening. Drew happens to go to bed around 8:30, and even if he stays up late, I really don't want to pump him full of sugar before trying to get him to sleep.

1 comment:

  1. You should stop him one evening and ask what his route and times are. Maybe you could catch him in a different neighborhood earlier in the day.

    ReplyDelete