I read a blog that joked that their first daughter did everything perfectly, and when, one day, we can genetically engineer children, people would check under her daughter's name for how they want their child to behave.
That's pretty much Drew. I've had very little to complain about (which actually makes me fear our second child). He slept through the night VERY early on. People told me not to "worry", that that was just the newborn phase, but that phase sure has lasted a long time. He nursed like a pro, and though I worried and created my own stress from time to time, overall it really went great. Going to school, potty training, transitioning to the new bed... everything has been so easy!
EXCEPT for the terrible twos. Oh. My. Goodness. Perhaps it's the fact that I'm home all day, every day right now. Most likely at least part of it is due to pregnancy hormones. But all I know is that some days I am literally counting down the minutes until Jason comes home from work. I was completely blindsided by the terrible twos. I mean, when you have a kid who's done everything perfectly you really aren't prepared for that moment when he throws the ultimate temper tantrum because he wants to go potty outside on the front porch. Then, when you finally convince him that if he REALLY wants to potty outside, we can take the potty to the backyard, he throws yet another tantrum because he decides he wants to be inside eating grapes (where did THAT come from??) Today, after much MUCH more than what is described here, I completely gave up, took my book, walked upstairs and shut my bedroom door.
I've read plenty of books and articles on how to deal with toddler tantrums, and I do my best (when my hormones don't get the better of me). I try to make sure he doesn't get hungry (mistake #1 today) or over-tired (mistake #2 today). I understand that a lot of it is an inability to communicate what he wants so I try my best to listen. I've also tried to make sure we have plenty of things to do to keep us entertained and distracted. But I also know sometimes it's just going to happen and the only thing I CAN do is walk away. And pray for patience.
I was talking to Stacey yesterday telling her I'd love to come help her out for a few days as her husband returns to work and she adjusts to being home alone with a newborn. She told me she would love the help, but she worried that I need both rest and family time, too. I had to laugh. I'm pretty positive that chasing a toddler all day is no more restful than taking care of a newborn (who I don't have to feed!) during the day (especially when I can still go home and get a full night's sleep). And I honestly think a little break from home might do me some good. Of course, don't get me wrong, I LOVE my pumpkin, even if he makes me want to curl in a ball and cry from time to time, and I'm loving spending my summer days with him, but I think some patience might be restored if I get even a short break from the constant yes/no battle.
I know this isn't a Monday Minute post... just needed a chance to vent a bit and sort out some thoughts. Thanks for listening! :)
Oh, yes. I don't think anything can prepare you for the two-year-old phenomenon. You would not be the first mother (who, by the way, totally adores her children) to start calling around to daycare centres or babysitters.
ReplyDeleteOnly 2 weeks until school starts back (for both of us). Which is both happy and sad... I just wish I worked part-time. :)
DeleteOne summer I called on a highschool student from our church (just lived nearby) to be a "mother's helper" for a couple of hours in the late afternoon a few times a week. Sanity saver. My boys were 2 and 4, and it was just the break we all needed...I could calmly deal with dinner etc, while they had someone with more energy and undivided attention, and some great activities in mind for the boys.
ReplyDeletePat