Monday, July 9, 2012

Monday Minute: Fun with letters

One of our favorite bath time games is to play "find the letter". We have these foam letters that stick to the wall and Drew loves to find the letter I call out and either put it in his bucket or stick it to the wall. Sometimes we play the other way around and he calls out a letter and I have to toss it into the water.

The first night we really started playing I thought I would just have fun and see how many letters he knew. I knew that he knew a few- A, W (for Wisconsin), D (for Drew)... but I didn't realize he knew so many! There were very few that stumped him, and when they did a hint like "find the green T" seemed to be enough, even if there were other green letters floating nearby.



I was even surprised one day when I was wearing a sweater from my sister that says "UCSF" (for University of California, San Francisco). Drew pointed and said "U!" then C, then F. He skipped the S and even still that's one letter he has a hard time with. Either way, I'm impressed he can both recognize AND name letters (in various settings, too).

Obviously games like our bath tub game help him learn and practice the letters, but I don't really know where he picked them all up in the first place. It's not like we sit down and study the alphabet... we don't even have any alphabet puzzles and most of our alphabet magnets are missing! In fact, I often think I ought to be better about spending time "teaching" him things. It's shocking what kids pick up just by listening and observing...I'm wondering how long it will be before we have to give up spelling out loud as a form of "secret" communication...

No comments:

Post a Comment