With 6 weeks left to go I already have maternity shirts that don't cover the underside of my belly. Uh oh.
I normally never sleep on my back, so why, when I'm not supposed to sleep on my back, do I find myself waking up on my back every night?
Drew asked to color my belly. I think it would be fun to let him if I buy some body paint! Pictures to come?
At each pregnancy appointment you get measured from top to bottom of your uterus. Your measurement, in centimeters, should more or less match your "weeks". At my 33 1/2 week appointment I was told I'm measuring 33-34. Spot on! So why do I look so HUGE??
A few weeks ago a nurse at my regular doctor's office, after weighing me, doing blood pressure, etc., acted surprised when I commented on my being pregnant. "Oh! Congratulations!" she said, "I thought so but I wasn't going to say anything!" (this was seriously only a couple of weeks ago when I already had people telling me I looked like I was ready to pop). Ummm... really? If I'm not pregnant then I should probably be here for something more serious than sinus complaints. In my opinion acting as if you couldn't tell is just as bad as asking a non-pregnant woman if she's pregnant (and trust me, I do know how that feels- it's happened to me four times, twice before Drew and twice after... yes, I know that means I should probably do more ab work). My advice: If you're really not sure, don't ask, but don't act surprised when/if you find out. A simple "congratulations!" works perfectly.
| I know for a fact I was bigger than this |
At work I was talking with two women, one I work with every day and one I only see occasionally. The one I see occasionally commented on how great I look and that I'm only belly, nothing else has grown. The one I work with every day said, "oh, if you knew her like we do you can tell right here [points to her chin/neck] that she's put on weight!". Gotta love working with people from different countries (norms and taboos can vary quite a bit). And why is it, if it really is true (which it is), we as Americans (or Canadians!) don't want to hear it?
Drew officially has no more lap space. He also got kicked in the back while resting on my tummy one day; he jumped up and said "whoa!".
And finally, this arrived with my weekly emails and I felt it fit me perfectly.
That's it for today! I need to start jotting down some of the comments and conversations I have because I know this isn't even half of what I've experienced. And I know this sounds like a gripe fest, and perhaps it is, but for the most part I really am taking it all in stride. It's just fun to share and let other people wonder about/marvel at the same things I do.

I know I really can't compare, but when I gained weight I got pretty tired of people saying "I can tell you've gained weight ." I realized my face looked different and that was probably the hardest thing to accept, without people pointing out that that was the most noticeable change. And I don't know if it's necessarily a cultural thing, I seemed to get it from everyone. People seem to be less inhibited about pointing out weight changes when they are expected (as in your pregnancy and my efforts to gain weight).
ReplyDelete~Laura
I think you're probably very right, Laura. It probably does have a lot to do with the fact that the weight gain is acceptable that makes it "okay" for people to comment. Still, I find Americans are fine with talking about my overall body shape and belly size, but I generally do not get comments on my actual weight gain except for from the people at work. As I said, I know it's true (and it's SUPPOSED to be true) so it's not a big deal... it's just hard when you're "trained" to be offended. :P
DeleteCurtis and I did the belly painting! We just used the Crayola finger paints that wash so easily. We had a blast!
ReplyDelete