Thursday, November 12, 2009

All is well

I had my first consultation visit with the high-risk pregnancy doctor today.  Everything went fine.  They did a quick ultrasound... AGAIN!  The poor baby is probably wanting to be left alone by now!!  But it was nice to see that everything is normal.  The heartbeat was 176 beats per minutes, and the baby is about 2 cm long.   Again, the baby is the white "blob" in the black space... I personally can't distinguish much... don't know if anyone else can...

The doctor said the biggest concern for me and the baby will be watching the baby's growth, especially towards the end of the second trimester/beginning of the third.  Basically the oxygenation of my blood can affect how the baby is growing, so they'll do somewhat regular ultrasounds at that point to check and make sure he or she is growing normally.  Because my lung function beforehand was 100% he assumes there will be no problems though.  He said that since CF patients are now starting to live longer (thanks to amazing research advances!), there really isn't a whole lot of data regarding CF and pregnancy, but overall we can expect mostly a normal pregnancy.  He also said my meds are all okay... which was a relief.  My CF doctor had told me to stop taking TOBI, but otherwise everything else should be ok, but it was good to hear that from an actual obstetrician too.

He also asked, very seriously, if I had been talked to about the flu vaccines.  I told him I got the H1N1 shot on Monday, and he was very relieved!  He said that me, of all people, really needed to have that shot.  I was already at risk since I have lung issues, but being pregnant puts me at even higher risk (not only of catching it, but of having more complications should I catch it).  He said they had 6 women at his clinic who had caught it, and 2 of them died!  So sad, and so scary!!! I told him that, being a teacher, I knew I REALLY needed to get it, and you could almost see his eyes bug out of his head when I said that I was a teacher.  I'm SOOO glad I'm protected now!  Still trying to be very careful about hand-washing and everything though....

For now I'm relaxed.  Everything seems to be going very well so far.

I will be revealing the news to my grandmother on Saturday when she arrives.... I wonder how she will react to finding out she will be a great-grandmother??

1 comment:

  1. So glad to hear everything is going okay - you seem to be in very caring hands (which makes me very happy!) I want to hear what Grandma has to say after you tell her!

    ReplyDelete