Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Will this kid ever stop...

Sleeping!?

Bet you didn't see that one coming!  Who complains about their kid sleeping??  Well, I'm not! Not exactly... Drew has been great- he loves to sleep, just like Mommy.  In fact he'll easily sleep right through feedings, which is part of the problem.... Mommy doesn't sleep anyway if Drew doesn't eat.  I get so uncomfortable!  On top of that he often sleeps while feeding.  The lactation consultant at the hospital said to wake him if he falls asleep while eating because he isn't really getting nourishment if he's "comfort feeding".  Well, how about you try to wake this kid!  I've tried everything from diaper changes to tickling to actually putting a cold wet cloth right on his belly and he won't wake up!  My solution?  First and foremost: enjoy the fact that he sleeps so well!  Second, get a breast pump and simply pump in the middle of the night (or during the day...) when he won't wake.

My sleepy baby

He doesn't sleep all the time though.  Yes, once he's asleep he's nearly impossible to wake, but he does spend plenty of time awake, looking something like this...


He just loves to observe his surroundings and take in all the people who come to visit.  I'm amazed at the fact that he will spend hours awake quietly studying everything around him.  I've woken in the morning to find him awake in the bassinet just looking around.

Can I really have a kid that loves to sleep, and yet is so calm and easy-going while awake??  I guess he got the best from both parents- mom's love for sleep and dad's laid back nature.  I'm hoping this will just be his personality, but I'm also making sure to enjoy it now in case it doesn't last.

I have to say... I just love this kid!

3 comments:

  1. I remember doing the cold wash cloth with both Emily and Katie. I think, with Emily, some of the sleepiness was jaundice. But they did get over it (unfortunately). You're wise to enjoy the sleep while you can get it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane, so good to read about you enjoying your new little one. Virginia could be hard to wake when she was very young. That doesn't last too long, but she is still a pretty good sleeper at night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this little guy! It would be great if he kept his easy going personality but if he does the next one is bound to be a doozy! So totally enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete