Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Drewless

To celebrate our anniversary Jason and I went out to dinner last night... alone!  You'd think it wouldn't be that big of a deal, "you've only had the kid for 2 weeks!" but you get rather used to having him around.  I know even Jason found it a bit odd to be "Drewless," but for me, after having had him with me 24/7 for 9.5 (actually, more like 10) months and having to "reattach" him every couple of hours or so, it was pretty hard.  I constantly felt like something was "missing".

We planned everything pretty well.  We didn't plan a specific time to go out knowing that it would really depend on Drew.  He decided he was hungry around 4:30 and that's when it was "go time".  After he ate I quickly got showered and dressed (and prettified of course) then we headed to Jason's dad and step-mom's house.  Drew actually managed to stay awake for the 1/2 hour car ride, so when we arrived at their house 2 hours after he last ate he was perfectly hungry.  I fed him and changed him, did the whole "here's where everything is" thing, and we headed out.  The biggest kink was that he didn't fall asleep even while feeding, so I was a bit worried as we headed out the door that he was going to stay awake and decide he was hungry again before we returned.  We have not yet introduced bottles, and don't plan to for a few more weeks, so I had left some expressed milk and a syringe but was hoping not to have to go that route.  Thankfully he fell asleep shortly after we left (you know I had to check-in... if I hadn't you wouldn't believe this was me writing!).

Dinner was delicious!  We actually treated ourselves and went to a cute place in a downtown city square and splurged on steaks.  I finally understand why some places charge so much for their food- even their vegetables were to-die-for! (In fact, even the "chex mix" they served when we first got there was fantastic, who knew!?)

We enjoyed having some time just the two of us.  As much as I was reluctant to leave Drew, especially so early and before we've introduced bottles, I knew it was important for us to have some alone time and really just enjoy each other.  There hasn't been a lot of that since our new arrival and alone time will probably be hard to come by as the years go on, but I think it's so important to remember that we're a couple first (that's how Drew got here!) and to take care of that relationship so that everything else falls into place.  I tried my best not to talk about Drew (okay, not to talk excessively about Drew... he turned 2 weeks yesterday after all!), and not to worry over him (I only did the one check-in!) so Jason would know I was enjoying my time with him.

And yes, everything was just fine.  Drew slept peacefully in his Nonny's arms pretty much the whole time we were gone (a whopping 3 hours!).  He actually continued to sleep so soundly on our trip home and after we returned that I couldn't even wake him to eat and had to pump!

Thank you Nonny and Poppy!

1 comment:

  1. The first time going out always feels totally weird. I found even letting someone else hold the newborn felt a little odd, like my arms couldn't wait to hold the baby again. Not that I didn't want others to love and care for the baby (and give me a break!), but it just felt odd.

    ReplyDelete