Saturday, July 10, 2010

What's up, doc?

I first have to comment that the students I teach would not get the above reference. Sad, eh? Or is it? I tried to explain Sylvester cat's "sufferin' succotash" to my News Team kids one morning... that didn't go over so well.  I didn't realize that kids don't watch Loony Toons anymore!!

Anyways... back to the point... in Drew's less than 2 weeks of life he has already been to 3 doctor's appointments!!  One for him, one for me, and one was simply a weigh-in for him.

 I don't want to go to the doctor!

Drew is looking healthy and strong.  The doctor was impressed with just how pink he is (absolutely no signs of jaundice).  Everything else looked good too... including his poop.  Yup, we had a great time with that one.  After the exam the doctor told us we could go ahead and dress Drew again, but he had a poopy diaper so we attempted to change it while the doctor continued to talk to us.  As we were paying more attention to the doctor than to Drew we did not realize that something wasn't quite right... until Jason felt something wet in his flip flop. Oops! We have a boy! We scrambled to cover up.  Just when I thought he was finished and lifted the "clean" diaper, off he went again, spraying in the other direction.  We quickly scrambled to cover again, then... SPLAT!  What was that? Oh, that was a pile of liquidy yellow breastfed baby poo.  The doctor hadn't noticed what was going on until the loud noise and looked down to see liquid dripping everywhere off of the exam table.  "Oh my! Did he get me!?" he exclaimed as he jumped back.  Thankfully Drew did not dirty the doctor, but he sure did make a mess of the entire table!  We had to keep pulling new paper to try and get a spot dry enough to continue changing him!!  The doctor did get to witness that Drew's poop is in fact "yellow and seedy" as it is supposed to be though!

The doctor said I can have my paci!

On that note his weigh-in went extremely well too.  Did you know that babies often lose weight in their first few days of life? Drew dropped from 8 lb. 6 oz. to 7 lb. 11 oz. before we left the hospital.  By his first appointment he had gone up a little to 7 lb. 12 oz., but they wanted to check him again in a week.  Well, he's already at 8 lb. 12 oz! That means he gained a whole pound in a week! Yikes! Babies are supposed to gain back their birth weight within the first 2 weeks.  He's gained it back plus some and he's not even 2 weeks yet!  I asked the nurse if there was a such thing as gaining "too much".  She told me he's good.  I guess breastfeeding is going well though! Not being able to see how much he's eating (or that he's even eating at all!) means a lot of breastfeeding moms, including me, worry that their babes aren't getting enough.

Looks like I'm getting plenty, doesn't it?

My own appointment went well too.  It was my first appointment with my CF doctors since giving birth.  My lung function is already back up the 10% I dropped while pregnant! Awesome! And I'm not even back on my normal meds yet! It seems pregnancy overall was pretty good to me.  Their biggest concern is my weight.  It turns out I'm already below my pre-pregnancy weight.  I'm still in the "green zone" as they call it, but I can't lose anymore.  I didn't realize just how hard it was going to be though.  Did you know breastfeeding burns 800 calories a day? You actually need to take in more calories while breastfeeding than while pregnant!  I'm trying to train myself to snack while Drew is eating... but I often forget. My mom has been great buying all sorts of goodies to fatten me up like cookies and ice cream and key lime pie! I guess I should probably get some healthy snacks in there too....

Mom's belly is still nice and squishy!

2 comments:

  1. He looks fantastic!!!
    Love, Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the picture with the pacifier. He has this look like he's 'entitled' to it, so there!
    Lol!
    Love, Grandma

    ReplyDelete