First, there were the "cutless" folders. I was organizing some things on my desk, so I grabbed a few folders from this box of "CutLess Folders". I thought to myself, "do people really get paper cuts from folders often enough that there is a need for 'cutless' ones?" only a few minutes before I got a really deep paper cut from one of them on my pinky finger. (Not so "cutless"!)
Well, the actual usage generally ends up being as a "third closet." Most of the time our clothes just stay on that rack instead of being put away. To keep it out of our way we generally have it pushed against the wall, so clothes only hang on one side of it. This seems like a "well, duh" situation. Heavy clothes on one side of a rack? It's obviously going to tip over. And honestly, yes, it's fallen over a few times, but it's generally only after one of us has swiftly grabbed a garment off a hanger, allowing the rack to sway. Otherwise it's pretty steady.
| Clothes on both sides! What a concept! |
But for some reason on Thursday morning as I carefully grabbed an article of clothing off the rack, I chuckled to myself as I thought, "I really should be cautious with this thing in the mornings. I can't imagine how Jason would feel waking up to this thing falling on top of him! I would probably think the house was caving in or an elephant decided to sit on me!" The very next morning it happened. Despite my carefulness, the entire thing came crashing down on sleeping Jason. Thankfully he was very graceful about it, getting up to help me pick everything up without a complaint.
All of this brings us to the final event this week that I'm not exactly proud to tell. After a diaper change I set Drew on the floor and he immediately crawled off to the springy door stop that he loves to play with (I remember being in awe, as a child, over the awesome "sproooiinnggg" sounds those things make!). I figured while he was entertained I would quickly wash my hands in the bathroom that is literally 5 steps away. With one foot out of the door in case I needed to run and grab him, I quickly washed my hands while thinking, "what would I do if Drew shut himself in his room? I wouldn't know whether it was safe to open the door or not! What if he was in the way and I whacked him? Or worse, what if his fingers were in the hinges?" As I thought this I heard "shunk" as the door closed.
I insta-panicked and screamed "BABE!" to Jason, just as Drew began to wail. I then gathered my thoughts as I slowly and carefully opened the door to find Drew sitting a safe distance away, unharmed except for the sudden shock of finding himself alone in his room with his mother screaming on the other side of the door.
Thankfully all turned out well, this time. But, as usual, this was a good learning experience. I did decide to make a trip to Babies R Us today, though, to pick up a few items I was in need of...
| A gadget to prevent doors from closing or pinching baby fingers! |
| Straps to keep these sliding doors closed, also preventing pinched fingers |
| Corner cushions (I know, my furniture is dusty) |
| Crib rail protector for my little beaver |
| Mmmmm, works well! |
In any case, I think I will just be keeping my thoughts to myself, thank you very much, before I cause anything else to happen.
Like this bookshelf falling over because it's not yet anchored to the wall...
Yeah, no worries, we're getting that fixed today!
P.S. My mom is in the hospital in Dubai right now after having a last-minute appendectomy. Please send your thoughts and prayers her way. She is doing well after the surgery, but we want her to continue to recover quickly as her and my dad prepare to fly back home later this week!

Sure hope your mom recovers quickly. What a miserable way to end her trip. :(
ReplyDeleteLove that little door gadget. And here's a little poem to reassure you about the dust:
Dust If You Must
Dust if you must, but wouldn’t it be better
To paint a picture, or write a letter,
Bake a cake, or plant a seed;
...Ponder the difference between want and need?
Dust if you must, but there’s not much time,
With rivers to swim, and mountains to climb;
Music to hear, and books to read;
Friends to cherish, and life to lead.
And I would add: "Babies to nom, and husbands to hug."
I like that! My mom sent me this one a few weeks ago when I was stressing over the state of the house:
ReplyDeleteThe cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow,
For children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.