Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Thank you

Thank you guys for all the encouraging comments after my sob fest the other day.

Things are looking a little brighter today. As always, with the light of morning things feel better (and sleep DOES do a lot of good, too, as my dad pointed out!!)

Work WAS very busy yesterday, but not run-around-like-a-chicken-with-your-head-cut-off kind of busy.

My CF appointment went well. Weight was only down 1 lb. and I'm still in my healthy BMI range. Lung function was actually up by a couple percentage points!

Drew is still fighting the foods (wouldn't eat a bite of lunch for the babysitter yesterday, only ate Cheerios all day) but we're at least getting him to drink. I've decided two things- first, I'm still going to put the foods he doesn't seem to want (including veggies) on his plate, even if he won't eat them because I think eventually he may be interested again and I won't ever know if I stop offering them (thus reinforcing the pickiness). I just won't try to make him eat or get mad if he throws the food on the floor. And second, as Samantha pointed out in the comments, he probably just isn't in the intense growth spurt that happens during the first 12 months. I know not to expect him to eat as much as I do, but he's always surprised me with the amount that he DOES consume. But it's very likely that he just doesn't need that much right now.

I did go to the store the other day, though, and picked up a few things to try out with him. I've always made his food from home, even his baby food purees, but I thought maybe some of the packaged toddler meals might appeal to him. Most of them were a definite no, but I found this little gem that he LOVED....


HappyTot Organic Superfoods. It's a squeezable pouch filled with fruit and veggies! This one is pears, peas, and green beans, as well as a grain called Salba that provides fiber and Omega 3 fatty acids. I didn't think he'd like it, but he kept on slurping it down! I purposely made NO noise of excitement or encouragement (I also think that toddler stubbornness is kicking in). In fact, I took the pouch away for a moment and he actually signed "more"! He just about finished the whole thing. I paired that with his cup of milk and some cheese for calcium, fat, and protein. Not a bad meal! I'm definitely going to buy more. I'm debating whether to stick with the same flavor (what if he tries one he doesn't like, then won't eat them again?), and also debating if I should do them once a day with a meal, or allow him to enjoy as many as he pleases throughout the day (with fear of him getting tired of them or realizing that I LIKE it when he eats them)???

I am off work today and instead of worrying about unpacking, cleaning, or anything else, Jason and I are both being lazy and just enjoying time rolling around on the floor with Drew (except for right now while Drew naps and I do meds).

Oh! Did I mention that on top of everything else yesterday, it was our 3 year anniversary?? Yeah, there wasn't much celebrating, though Jason did bring me this as a surprise....


Yum! We'll be celebrating by having a nice dinner tomorrow night followed by the midnight Harry Potter premier, followed by a couples massage the next morning! We both NEED it! Thanks to Nonny and Poppy for offering to look after Drew! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment