Thursday, January 12, 2012

12 things in 2012

At the end of 2010 I posted a list of 10 things I had accomplished in 2010 , and a list of 11 things I wanted to do in 2011. In July I did an update of the things I had finished so far.  Now that the year is fully over, it is time to review the list once more…

As of July I was missing 2, 5, 7, and 10. Let's take a look at how I stack up now...
  1. Run at least one more 10K (maybe a half marathon...?)
  2. Go salsa dancing with Stacey
    Yes, there may have been a margarita involved.
    This lady does not dance without.
  3. Take Drew to the beach
  4. Get a new camera and/or take a photography class
  5. Go on a weekend trip with just Jason
  6. Take a class with Drew
  7. Complete my honeymoon scrapbook (maybe a project for summer vacation?)
  8. Get a massage
  9. Play in the rain with someone (most likely Drew)
  10. Volunteer somewhere
    I volunteered at a CF cycling fundraiser!  I made sandwiches
    and cheered on the cyclists! It felt so great to give back
    to a cause that was giving to me, and to give back in a
    way that, from running, I know is incredibly helpful!
  11. Plant more flowers in my garden
Of my 11 things I did not accomplish 2: go on a weekend trip with just Jason, and complete my honeymoon scrapbook. Jason and I did go on several trips (Myrtle Beach and Chicago) but not alone. And the scrapbook... well... I did make a cute photo frame for my parents...


Either way, I do not see these as failures, but as things to look forward to doing this coming year. My goal wasn't to create a "MUST DO!" list, but to create a list of things that would make me feel good if I finished.

And, even though I didn't finish those 2, I did many other things. I was "published" in a CF newsletter. I went on a trip to Peru with just my sister. I ran more than just one more 10K; I ran the half marathon, and then ran TWO more 10Ks. I kept my body healthy; in fact, I managed to have an excellent bone density screening that not only showed improvement since last year, but my scores were better than my best in 2008! Jason and I even paid off our 3 credit cards this year (and are no longer using any of them!)!

I loved having a list of things to do throughout the year. Instead of resolutions, or even goals, that try to change behaviors, it was fun to set out things that I deemed important and fun and to work towards accomplishing them. So, I created a new list for 2012 (and yes, this list includes my 2 unfinished items from 2011)...

12 things in 2012

  1. Go on a trip with Jason. A cruise?
  2. Finish my honeymoon scrapbook.
  3. Bake a pie. From scratch. (I have never made a pie on my own! Not even a lemon meringue or chocolate pudding pie where you just pour ingredients into a premade crust!)
  4. Make or do something that I have pinned on Pinterest (other than food). I would love to do something off of one of these two boards Things I want to make, Things I want to do with Drew.
  5. Have a picnic.
  6. Sing karaoke. (Eek!)
  7. Get a physical. I know this is not a fun one, but it IS important. And I have to admit that between CF appointments and the girly doctor I figured I was covered and haven’t had a physical in far too long …
  8. Buy ice cream from the ice cream truck with Drew.
  9. Organize the photos on the laptop into proper folders.
  10. Do at least one random act of kindness (pay for someone’s coffee/groceries, hand out blessing bags, etc.). I saw some great ideas here.
  11. Send a snail mail letter to a friend.
  12. Read 4 books (1 every three months should be more than feasible, right? Even with a toddler?)

What about you? What would you like to accomplish in 2012? If any of you make a “12 things” list, please share it with me!! Even if you don't, I'd love to know something you'd like to see yourself doing this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment