My "unlucky" day...
Unluckily I woke up half an hour before my alarm went off, stressed and in a bad mood because of the book I'm reading (Jane Eyre). I could not go back to sleep as I kept trying to imagine ways the book might redeem itself.
As I got ready to leave for work, I realized the jogging stroller was unluckily not in the van where it needed to be for an afternoon run. Putting it in the van, unluckily, required me to move a vehicle and to dig heavy things out of the van (which, unluckily, were supposed to be dropped off somewhere else the day before).
Unluckily, after I heaved the large jogging stroller into the van I realized it was blocking the outlet I use to plug in my compressor (yes, my van has an outlet, and yes, I do meds on my way to work). Plugging in the compressor required me to do a juggling act in the unluckily frigid morning.
I was finally ready to go and I turned on the van to unluckily find the "low fuel" light on. I drove to Shell where we had a $50 gift card to find unluckily it was not open yet. (Jason did not realize I would be taking the van and had planned to fill it on his way to work).
After fueling (in the frigid morning, remember?) I drove to work to find there was unluckily more traffic than there ever is on Friday.
I decided to grab some Panera and they did, luckily, have my favorite Cinnamon Crunch bagel for breakfast. I also luckily had a gift card. I pulled out and headed towards my school. Upon arriving at school I realized my hands were cold, and upon searching for my (new touchscreen sensitive!) gloves, found they were no longer with me. I realized I must have left them unluckily at Panera. I drove back (already late for work) and unluckily they were not inside. Luckily, though, I found them in the parking lot.
While driving back to work I got a text from my fellow tester saying unluckily she had pink eye and would not be there. I knew that we unluckily had a large number of refugees scheduled for the day, but thought "that's okay, I can just get Ms. __ to help me with testing". I then received a call from another coworker that she was going to be out and, unluckily, needed Ms. ___ to cover the front.
This is when I heard that it was Friday the 13th.
The rest of my day proceeded in a similar fashion. Unluckily registration was very busy (in addition to the refugees we already had scheduled), and unluckily all of the students spoke a lot of English (which means testing takes a loooooong time). Unluckily I had decided to buy lunch (I almost always bring lunch) so, instead of being able to heat up my lunch and simply eat it while testing, I had nothing to eat and no time to go get food. Unluckily I finished testing at 3:00, had not eaten (hadn't even peed) and there was no point in getting food at that point since I leave at 3:30.
On the way home, I unluckily realized it was still frigid outside and jogging with Drew was not an option (so the 20 minute battle to put the stroller in the car was pointless!).
Luckily, however, Stacey and I decided a warm beverage was in order and I was able to release my day with a good friend over a nice cup of hot chocolate at Starbucks (where I luckily had a free beverage coupon!)
It is definitely all in perspective. Upon reviewing my day I remembered more and more things that had been unlucky. But regardless of whether or not yesterday was Friday the 13th, I'm pretty sure it would have been a rotten day.
![]() |
| Lucky me! I tested 13 students yesterday! |

Through all of it, I am sure that the refugee's found it to be a lucky day - lucky that they were in a free country, lucky they were being tested for an education, and probably lucky that they didn't know what the 13th meant.
ReplyDelete:) This is very true! Perspective!
ReplyDeleteI also had a not-so-lucky friday the 13th, which resulted in me getting lunch at 4:30 and leaving work at 10:30pm. But luckily/unluckily the patient whose blood I was using turned out to not have enough cells to do a whole second experiment that I had been planning, which resulted in me not having to be at work till 2am (like I expected that morning). Not sure whether that was lucky or unlucky. :P
ReplyDelete~Laura
I also came home and had hot chocolate with peppermint schnappes. I think warm drinks solve most of life's small problems. :)
ReplyDelete~Laura