You may have noticed in one of the last Monday Minute videos that Drew points out the "potty" while walking down the hallway. I've noticed a lot of interest in the potty lately. I'm fairly open so I have no problem letting Drew sit in the bathroom with me when I go. I mean, when he was a baby there wasn't another option. Now it's easiest to either bring him in or leave the door open so I can keep an eye on him. I also believe children need an example of how to "go potty" so I don't have a problem letting him observe the process (it's not like he sees anything). I guess it's paying off because lately he has become very interested in the whole thing.
I don't think he's quite ready for full on potty training, but I did figure that with all his interest it might be a good idea to go ahead and pick up his very own potty. So last night my mom and I (my parents were in town for about 2 minutes this weekend :P) went to Target to pick one out, and boy was Drew excited! I set it up in our bathroom and brought him in when I went to use the big toilet and pointed out his potty. I helped him sit on it, then I could not get him off!! He kept sitting on it and saying "potty!" After trying unsuccessfully to drag him away I finally left him in there while I went to cook dinner. This video was taken a few minutes after leaving him alone (he moved his potty himself)...
So, speaking of potty training, anyone have any good tips for boys? I know they generally take longer to train and it's not uncommon for boys to be almost 3 before they're fully potty-trained, but it can't hurt to have some good tips under my belt!
Oh, and I've heard that boys like to pee on cheerios floating in the bowl. Helps with the aim, which can be rather wild.
ReplyDeleteTeach them to sit and go. Just point it downward.
ReplyDeleteWhen my oldest boy was turning 3 and no signs of readiness, an older woman in the Toddler Sunday school room said to me "don't sweat it...I've never seen any of the kids still in diapers by kindergarten...he'll figure it out on time." And he did, all of a sudden, at 3 and a half, and on his own.
ReplyDeleteBut...all my efforts at training hand-washing after potty went right down the drain (haha) as soon as he went to kindergarten. So did flushing, thanks to urinals. And one thing I some how neglected, was to teach him how to aim and shoot without having to completely drop his drawers! He learned pretty fast on the first day of kindergarten. Bathroom precedures was not on my mind for the big start into school I guess!At least he wasn't still in diapers...