Thursday, January 5, 2012

It's a little TOO quiet...

As most moms will tell you, quiet is often a bad thing. Unless your child is asleep, quiet means they are likely very interested in something... and that something isn't always something you want them interested in. Either that or they don't want to get caught doing whatever it is they're doing. In those "oh, that's nice, Drew is playing quietly... wait... it's a little TOO quiet" moments I have found Drew pulling knives and/or scissors out of the dishwasher; he  has disappeared all the way upstairs (when I wasn't fully aware that he could climb a set of stairs on his own);  and I found him coming out of the bathroom with Jason's wireless mouse- "phew... I caught him just in time... oh wait... is that water dripping from the mouse? Crap!"

But actually, more often than not, I peak around a corner to find something like the sights I found tonight while cooking dinner...

My little genius playing with his abacus

This one actually could get dangerous, but he's been
enjoying emptying and filling the crayon box.

Both of these photos were captured in true "uh oh.. what is he up to now?" moments. Not pictured was the first "it's too quiet moment" which led to me pulling out the camera in the first place- I found him sitting in his play room, surrounded by toys, but with a book open in his lap. He was happily "reading" it to himself. :)

4 comments:

  1. Awww. Just today I had a moment where there was a funny little scratchy noise coming from the living room. When I peeked around the corner Grace was sitting on her little sofa "reading" too. Usually the not-so-good TOO quiet moments for Grace involve dumping some sort of liquid...
    Are you loving this age or what?! =)
    Marshall

    ReplyDelete
  2. That "too quiet" alarm never goes away. Least of all when they are teenagers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a wonderful thing to see your baby being creative, or entertaining himself. I love how he is quietly exploring! A bright little boy.

    When my boys were young, we had a kitchen backsplash that was all mirrors (really bad for a messy cook like me!). I could see behind me into the family room, and often caught one or the other up to "no good", and would call them on it...they were always surprised that I knew. It's funny how they seem to know at such a young age, when they're into monkey business.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Marshall- YES! I am LOVING this age! Never knew I would love it this much! Every time I turn around he's doing something adorable or hilarious (and only every once in a while frustrating)

    @Pat- That's hilarious! I'm guessing they really believed you had eyes in the back of your head. Drew already jumps when I say his name and he knows he's into something he's not supposed to be. They really do know very quickly when they're up to something they're not supposed to be!

    ReplyDelete