It is a very rare Spring Break that we don't go somewhere, at least for a few days. But this year, to save money (and energy!) we decided to stay put. I had some cleaning I wanted to get done, and a lot of rest to catch up on! Turns out it was a very good thing we didn't go anywhere because our trip probably would have ended up cancelled or cut short.
My break started with a stomach bug. For Drew that is. In fact, I got to head home early from work on Friday because Drew was throwing up and we couldn't send him to school (which was actually closed that day) or to our back-up option, Stacey (not going to send a kid who's throwing up to a pregnant woman... well, a pregnant woman who's not mom). As you read on Monday he continued to throw up for several days, finally ending on Sunday. That is until a recurrence Wednesday night that prompted a Thursday morning pediatrician visit. Verdict: Drew's stomach is still sensitive (as often happens after viruses) and he also has a cough and an irritated throat (from the pollen?). Treatment: probiotics, avoid dairy for a few days (for the cough and tummy), and start using his inhaler again.
Thursday night, yes, the very day we were at the doctor, I started getting more and more concerned about Drew's eyes. He had been complaining about them and rubbing them all week (and this had been mentioned to the two doctors he saw), but all of a sudden there was green goop and yellow crusties. His eyes weren't pink, but some internet research (always the best place for a hypochondriac to get answers) told me it could still be pink eye. After some Facebook discussions, and a call to the pediatrician this morning, it was determined that it is likely also due to pollen (gotta love Georgia). Actually I haven't seen any gunk at all today, so that's a very good sign.
On top of all of that Jason's grandmother passed away earlier this week. This was surprising and sad news. The funeral is today so Jason made last-minute arrangements to go. We will miss him Sunday morning for Easter, but we are thankful that timing made it possible for him to go.
Needless to say, between a sick toddler, doctor's visits, and an already exhausted mom who is currently "single-momming it", I was not nearly as productive this break as I was the last time I stayed home (TWO years ago when I was pregnant with Drew!). I DID get a mini veggie garden planted; I wasn't nearly as ambitious this year as I was last year, but I have a suspicion that come July/August I'm not going to want to be doing much in the garden.
It's been a crumby Spring Break, but to tell the truth I'm actually very thankful all of this happened now. Taking time off work really isn't easy, especially when I'm trying to safeguard as many sick days as possible for all of my pregnancy appointments. I would be a mess right now if all of this had happened during a normal week. So, even though I'm wishing I could get an extension on my break, I'll be satisfied knowing that I did get some good rest, and some quality time with Drew (more on that later).
No comments:
Post a Comment