Monday, January 20, 2014

Breathe

Do you remember when you were little and you would cry so hard you couldn't breathe anymore? When all you wanted to do was breathe in, but you seemed to be stuck breathing out? Do you remember that sensation? I see my boys do it, James more than Drew; he always looks at me with this half-panic in his eyes saying, "whoa! I think I cried too hard!" I remember the feeling (I also remember the involuntary "hiccups" after you did catch your breath), but was reminded of that sensation once again today, but not because I was crying too hard (well, crying may have happened as a secondary reaction), but because I was laughing too hard. I seriously thought I might never be able to breathe in again.

What might cause me to laugh that hard? Believe it or not, it was not one of the boys and their silly antics, it was actually a book.



Let's Pretend this Never Happened is written by Jenny Lawson, otherwise known as The Bloggess. Many people are familiar with her hilarious story about a big metal chicken; if you're not, go ahead and acquaint yourself. Now imagine 366 pages of that!

If you're in need of a good laugh, or if you just need to feel a little more normal, this is definitely a book you should pick up. I've told Jason he needs to read it (when I finish! Don't touch before then!) just so that he can understand me a bit better (in particular, the chapter entitled "Phone Conversation I had with my Husband After I got lost for the Eighty Thousandth Time) and so that he can appreciate that, in spite of my many quirks, he has it pretty easy.

I just thought I'd share because, if something makes you laugh that hard, I think it's mean not to.

3 comments:

  1. I just read the big metal chicken blog and I am laughing so hard I have tears in my eyes, which is usually a mommy thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andy, did you read the comments? People really chastised her for being so mean to her husband. Sigh.

      Delete
    2. I made Jason read the chapter about her getting lost and all he could say was it wasn't funny because he feels bad for her husband. :-/

      Delete