Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day!

Wow, almost two days late with my weekly Saturday "growth" update! Why so late?  Well, my Saturday was spent looking after this beautiful girl:




And Sunday was spent shopping for and buying this number:




Haley was a ton of fun on Saturday, though exhausting too.  I'm wondering how I'm going to do it when we get ready for Floodling #2!  Pregnant with a toddler (and a potty-trained one at that!) is tough!

The babymobile calls for a huge thank you to my parents, who helped us to be able to purchase it as their gift for baby.  I don't think neither Jason nor I were ready for a mini-van, but the practicality of it (plus all of it's awesome features like power doors, remote start, memory seating, dual climate control, DVD player, etc., etc., etc.) made us go ahead and take the leap. Thank you "Grandma" and "Grandpa" Simpson!!

On top of the full weekend, this altogether was one full week!  Besides numerous all day and afternoon meetings this week, we've had plenty of events and activities going on like Career Day, 5th Grade Day, and Teacher's Appreciation.... On top of that I had 3 doctor's appointments this week!  I've mentioned the three different doctors I've been seeing- my OB, my CF doctor, and my High Risk OB.  Well, initially my appointments were scheduled so that I more or less had one appointment per week, usually with a week or two off in between.  Well, thanks to rescheduled appointments, and various other factors, I ended up with all three appointments this week!  On Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday!

Everything is looking good.  There actually isn't a lot of exciting news to report...  my regular OB didn't have a lot to say- though that's pretty normal.  They do the regular blood pressure, weight, urine test (for protein and sugar), measure my uterus, listen to the baby's heartbeat, etc.  If everything looks good, they ask me if I have any questions, then send me on my way.

My CF appointment went well too.  My lung function is a little bit down, but she says that's to be expected with less space for my lungs these days.  She isn't concerned about me getting back to my baseline.  We talked a little bit about returning to work (she wants me to take 6 months off, but those 6 months would be unpaid!), breastfeeding (and thus not being able to start back immediately on my antibiotic regimens) and daycare (she recommends that CF patients don't put their children in public day cares due to the risk of diseases that are often brought home).  We didn't come to a lot of conclusions... a lot of what we decided was basically "wait and see".

My high risk OB appointment went well too.  Floodling is approximately 5 and a half pounds or so these days.  He's measuing at about 66th percentile.  I started really asking what that means and if it's likely he'll be a "bigger" baby, or even be early.  They said 66th percentile is pretty close to average so I shouldn't worry too much, but it's hard when I see stats like below saying approximate weight should be 4 3/4 lbs.  Unfortunately he was turned towards my back so we didn't get any good pics... but I have to say that's actually a "fortunately" because it means he's really getting in position for birth.  You want baby to be facing your back otherwise you can have bad "back labor" (cramps and pains in your back) and you end up birthing a wider section of their head.  So I'm thankful that we weren't able to get good pics! 

Your baby now weighs about 4 3/4 pounds (like your average cantaloupe) and is almost 18 inches long. His fat layers — which will help regulate his body temperature once he's born — are filling himout, making him rounder. His skin is also smoother than ever. His central nervous system is maturing and his lungs are continuing to mature as well. If you've been nervous about preterm labor, you'll be happy to know that babies born between 34 and 37 weeks who have no other health problems generally do fine. They may need a short stay in the neonatal nursery and may have a few short-term health issues, but in the long run, they usually do as well as full-term babies.

Before I go I would like to say "Happy Mother's Day" to all you moms out there, including moms-to-be!  Even though we're not "officially" mothers yet, our hearts and brains say we are!  We already love our children and have a huge place for them in our hearts.  And we've already done an awful lot of work growing them and caring for them too!  I did have a nice Mother's Day... I got a card from my mom, flowers and a gift at church, and Jason promises an extra-special birthday gift as a combined Mother's Day/Birthday gift.   But thank you to all you other moms who I know have done the much harder work of raising your children!  I look at you in awe and only hope I will do as good of a job when Floodling arrives in only 5 short weeks!

1 comment:

  1. Moms-to-be are definitely moms.

    Thanks for the update on how you're doing - glad to hear everything is going well. Just a little over a month to go! Yippee!

    ReplyDelete