So it seems like all at once all the pregnancy complaints I have yet to complain about came crashing down on me today. I attribute it to a mix of things really more pregnancy-unrelated, but today was the first time I really felt like a pregnant woman and wondered if I can handle this...
It started yesterday really when I came down with a cold.... or finally succumbed to Spring allergies... or got a sinus infections... or whatever it is. My throat was burning so bad and I had so much mucus I could hardly breathe or swallow. The most miserable thing was not being able to take anything to make me feel better! Jason was at work so I couldn't even get ginger ale which is my "mental medicine" when I get head colds.
I hardly slept last night... I've actually slept really well throughout the pregnancy only waking up once or twice to use the bathroom then going right back to sleep. Last night I woke up almost every hour nearly choking. I would cough and hack, drink some water, go to the bathroom, cough and hack some more, then go back to sleep. I repeated this at least 6 times.
Needless to say I was not in the best of moods this morning when it was time to get up to go to school. I still wasn't feeling good and totally would have stayed home if it weren't the last day of school with the prospect of not returning next year. I wanted one last day with the kids.
To add on top of feeling miserable, my back decided to join the game this morning. Amidst running late and trying to make parfaits for my News Team (as a farewell "thank you") my back decided to seize up. I got a sudden sharp pain on the right side and simply could not move. It eased up a little, so I continued my running around only to have it seize up again. I was limping around trying to get myself out the door on time wondering why it decided to start doing this now. I've complained about the occasional back pain, but this was like nothing I've felt before. I think it probably has more to do with coughing and sleeping uncomfortably last night than with pregnancy, but it definitely didn't make my morning easy.
Because of all my running around I managed to more or less skip breakfast (not something I do these days!). I got a few bites here and there and intended to eat with the News Team kids, but it just didn't happen. I always get "emotional" when I'm hungry.... but that mixed with little sleep, uncertainty about next year, and of course pregnancy hormones made for a very explosive situation. I cried in front of the entire first grade when the music teacher told me I should go home because I didn't look well. I cried to the principal for half an hour as I tried to get questions answered about the upcoming school year. I cried to teachers walking down the hallway who offered to help pack up my room. I would never try to claim I'm not an emotional person, but I have honestly only cried at school twice in my three years there.... to people's knowledge at least. On top of that I've been really happy throughout this pregnancy, seeming to have avoided the raging hormonal mess I expected to suffer.
Coming home and taking a nap helped me feel a little better, but I think the hunger monster struck again without me realizing. I was in the middle of making dinner and grabbed a pot off the stove that needed to be cleaned. The handle had been resting up against another pot that was boiling water... I knew it would be hot so I used a glove. I set the pot on the counter, walked away, did a few things, came back to the pot and grabbed the handle full on (having forgotten by now that it was hot) and burnt three of my fingers. I immediately went into hysterics, crying like a toddler having a temper-tantrum! Jason had to finish cooking dinner...
Sigh... what a day. I'm hoping the sleepless night, the back pain and the hormonal roller coaster of today will be just that... simply the events of one "bad day". These typical pregnancy complaints really only came about by being fueled by other factors, but I still thought to myself, "wow, this is how it feels to be 8 1/2 months pregnant! No wonder people complain so much!".
I'm believing that once this cold is over though I shall hopefully return to my happy, relatively comfortable, pregnant-self!
Added later: Wow... not even joking.... no less than 2 minutes after publishing this post I went to the bathroom to get ready for bed and discovered....a tick! On my back! How did that get there!? We all know how much I love bugs... (I'm paralyzingly afraid of them in fact). So.... that led to another break down as I freaked out while Jason tried to get it off, which led to uncontrollable coughing thanks to this cold, which led to me throwing up. Woo hoo! What a day! I really should have titled this post "My Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day". Has anyone read that book? Maybe I should add it to my list of books for Floodling...

Wow. I know how you feel - minus being 8.5 months pregnant - I am only 3.5 - with that being said, I had a similiar day not too long ago while Bryan was out of town on business. It involved hysterics thanks to waking up late for work, running out of gas, and watching a squirrel get hit by a car all before 9:00am one morning! Sheesh - let's also hope it's a one of!
ReplyDeleteAww, that sounds like an awful day! I hope you get some rest tonight and feel better tomorrow! But it is funny that this happened to be your day, when the Hyperbole and a Half post today was something similar: http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/ :) It's a little more on the angry side than the sad/emotional/breakdown side, but still good.
ReplyDeleteLove you!
Laura
Laura - I was going to post the exact same link :-)
ReplyDeleteDiane - wow - what a truly awful day. Rest assured, the rest of your pregnancy won't be as bad as that day. (But be prepared for the tears on about day 3-4 postpartum, about the same time your milk comes in.)