Sunday, May 30, 2010
She's gonna blow!
I'm a ticking time bomb... that's how I feel people view me these days at least.
Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday of this past week I agreed to work on mapping/designing/cleaning up the new Elementary Foreign Language curriculum with a group of other elementary language teachers and the county World Language coordinator. I had initially planned on simply enjoying my summer after my last day Monday (as you know I've been looking forward to the time off!) but with things the way they are I figured it wouldn't hurt to "suck up" a little to the Language coordinator (unfortunately she has no control over the reassignments, but I still figured some brownie points wouldn't hurt).
Well, apparently the Language coordinator seemed to think I looked about ready to burst. She kept telling me I was making her nervous even though I wasn't doing anything. But if I moved, went to the bathroom, or coughed she would worriedly exclaim "are you all right??". At one point I had turned in my chair to prop my legs up on another chair (to help prevent my feet from swelling so much from all the sitting) and she said "you're not delivering, are you!?" On the last day of our meeting she showed up with a sticky note... apparently the number for the security guy of the building "just in case!". (If it's not obvious she has no children of her own and didn't realize that even if I were to go into labor I would likely have several hours before anything got serious). She did tell me I was a "trooper" though and that is more or less what I was after (for her to see that I was so dedicated that I would come even on the verge of "popping").
Yesterday I was at Publix picking up some diapers and wipes (they were having a sale and I had some great coupons!). I made my purchases, returned to my car, stuck the keys in the engine and turned...... and absolutely nothing happened. Not even a noise. I tried several times before I officially decided my battery was dead (and no, I had not left lights on, my battery just died- Jason told me later that when he got my oil changed last week they told him the battery needed to be replaced). A guy happened to wander over and started checking out the battery while I explained I was calling my husband to see if he could come help. I sat in the driver's seat to make the call and a Publix employee walked up and said "what!? Is she having the baby!?" Haha! I had to laugh....
It seems that these days instead of getting comments along the lines of "aww.... how far along are you?" I now get eyed and told "you look about ready to pop!" or "how can your husband make you grocery shop when you're about to burst!?". People seem almost scared of me now as if having a baby means I'm literally going to "burst" and they may get maimed in the explosion. I have to admit that I myself worry that my water may break when I'm out and about but the likelihood of that happening is very slim (most women's water doesn't break until far into labor, not as a sign that labor is beginning as on TV and in the movies). Maybe I just need to carry around flashing lights and an alarm that makes a big "awooga!" sound and see how people react then!
I can only imagine what people at the gym think when they see me climbing the stairs up to the treadmills.... RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!!
Labels:
complaints,
due date,
exercise,
school,
worries
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

LOL. You're probably right: those people at the gym are surreptitiously keeping an eye on you JUST. IN. CASE.
ReplyDeleteI just looked at your "counter" - 17 days! That is SOON.