Saturday, November 20, 2010

Photic Sneeze Reflex

Ever heard of it? It's apparently a hereditary trait in which a person, upon going from darkness to brightness, sneezes. I've known a few people who claim to have this reflex. I experienced it a few times, but Drew consistently sneezes when greeted by bright lights. He often sneezes immediately after I pull him out of the car to put him in his stroller. He also sometimes sneezes when I turn on the lights in his room after a nap. Like here, for example. You'll notice that once he finally opens his eyes all the way he sneezes. (You'll also notice the absolutely adorable smile that almost always greets me when I get him after a nap).


The curious thing is that it is supposedly hereditary, and a dominant trait at that, but neither Jason nor I seem to have the "photic sneeze reflex."

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet smile! I hope he keeps that up in the future when you're waking him up for school. :) I wonder if some people grow out of the sneeze reflex, so maybe you and Jason used to do it but don't anymore? Plus, Jason sneezes all the time so how can you really distinguish? :P

    ~B.A. Laura

    ReplyDelete