Thursday, December 9, 2010

Hittin' the gym

Drew and I signed up for a free Gymboree class this week (you can too by going to the link!). Gymboree is a children's learning and play center. They offer developmental classes based on your child's age, and they also offer sports, music, and art classes (for the somewhat older children). We went to a "Play and Learn" class for ages 0-6 months.

Oh. My. Goodness... I had a blast! It was amazing just how interested Drew was in all of the activities. He generally doesn't seem to care much when I sing and do little hand games, but they taught us all sorts of neat tricks and fun things to do to get him not only to pay attention, but to encourage development of different areas, like vision, hearing, or hand-eye coordination.

Drew actually enjoyed tummy time too, for once! They put an unbreakable mirror on the floor and spun colorful balls all over the place. He was so interested in his reflection, the balls, and all of the other babies that he didn't seem to notice he was on his tummy (though he did roll over once onto the baby next to him when I wasn't paying attention- oops! I apologized several times for the both of us... well, for me really...)


We got to go play on some of the equipment too. Drew had fun rolling around on a huge ball (I didn't get pictures of that, sad!), rolling in a tunnel, and doing sit ups on a wobbly bridge.







(He actually did "sit ups" just about anywhere I put him- the teacher kept laughing at him getting his "work out" in.)

He also enjoyed bubble time, and had bubbles blown especially for him since it was his first class!


Oh man, if we had the money (and I thought I could handle the jealousy of Jason getting to take him while I work) I would totally sign him up for the classes! I am so glad I remembered to do this before I go back to work though. His smiles and awe were priceless!

(On a side note, because I know my family will be curious, I am likely returning to work in January. My doctor's orders were 6 months for recovery, which ends on December 29th. School is back in session January 3rd. I am no longer at the high school I was moved to as the Family Medical Leave Act only protects my position for 60 days. So that position was posted and filled, and, once again, I am kind of in the air as to where I'll be. So, if you're the praying type, keep us in mind and pray that whatever comes my way will be the best option for our little family.)

3 comments:

  1. Looks like a great workout!

    In case of interest, several of your photos look like prime candidates for our Holiday Tummy Time Baby Photo Contest (see my URL).

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt and I went to gymboree classes when he was 6 months to a year old. They were great! We didn't have the money either, but grandma and grandpas gifted them to him for Christmas and Birthday since he didn't really "need" anything. - Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll bet he slept really well after that workout!

    Will definitely keep your work placement in our prayers. Keep this verse in your heart: "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28

    ReplyDelete