Breastfeeding James has been a rockier road than it was with Drew (let's not get into the many things that have been rockier than with Drew- I have a post in mind sometime down the road titled "How Drew messed all of us up"). You'd think it would be a lot easier the second time around, when you know what you're doing and what to expect, but that has not been the case.
First, there was the tongue tie, ankyloglossia. James was born with a very short frenulum- the little piece of skin under your tongue that anchors it to the bottom of your mouth. Tongue ties can range in severity, but James' was so short he could barely lift his tongue at all (very noticeable when he cried). Tongue ties are relatively benign (they may cause some speech impediments down the road) but they can interfere with breastfeeding latch and the ability of the baby to suck well. While James put on plenty of weight in the first week, I was going through a lot of pain. That wonderful first-latch-on-toe-curling pain. That's normal with a newborn, but the pain should dissipate after the first few days. Even though he was obviously latching well enough to get sufficient milk, he was not latching comfortably. Not. At. All. The doctor decided a quick snip would solve the problem. It was a simple procedure, and he hardly seemed to notice, but I cried like a baby (I have teared up during various procedures with both my babies, but I have NEVER cried like that!).
Latch got better, but not great. Things just didn't "feel" right. It wasn't exactly painful, but it wasn't comfortable like I had remembered with Drew. Because of that I was hesitant to try introducing bottles at the recommended 6 weeks of age. I'm debating whether or not I regret that now as I battle trying to get him to take a bottle. The ability to take a bottle allows me to get out every once in a while. Whether it's date night with Jason, or girl's night with the ladies, I think "me time" is important. BUT I think I'd rather deal with bottle issues than latch issues, and sure enough he's breastfeeding well and comfortably now.
Possibly thanks to that poor latch I developed mastitis just as James reached 1 month. Mastitis is a breast infection, usually caused by a blocked milk duct (due to poor milk drainage). Mastitis is like having the flu- aches, pains, chills, and everything- while also having an incredibly painful breast. It isn't fun at all. There's a reason we get flu shots, ya' know?
Then there was James' rash that wouldn't go away. That mixed with fussiness and gas made me start to wonder if there was something in my diet that was affecting him. I cut out dairy (the most common culprit) and sure enough everything cleared up. Well, almost everything. I believe there is another sensitivity, though I have yet to pinpoint it. Soy? Nuts? I don't know. Either way, eating dairy-free has been incredibly difficult, and I'm having a hard time keeping on appropriate amounts of weight (not to mention trying to make sure I get enough calcium and vitamin D- a concern since I've had bone density scans with low enough levels to classify as "osteopoenia"). It's worth it, 100%, especially since the BEST thing I can do to prevent food allergies is to breastfeed exclusively until 6 months. I know that won't necessarily prevent it, but I want to know I've done all I can. (Prayers are welcome, here, by the way- praying that whatever this is disappears and he has NO food allergies!)
Then there was mastitis round 2. And round 3, which I am currently recovering from. The culprit of this 3rd round I believe was breastfeeding 2 days in a row while wearing a sports bra. It was too tight (not good in the first place) and I neglected to pull it up all the way. The plugged duct is right where the bra would have been pressing on the top of my breast, so likely it cut off milk flow and caused a clog. Of course, there obviously seems to be an underlying issue so I'm working on doing what I can to get rest and boost my immune system to prevent this from happening a fourth time! I'm very glad to have 6 months off right now since my immune system doesn't seem to be up-to-par and I wouldn't want to be traveling school to school picking up who knows what and bringing it home to my boys.
No matter your opinion, I am continuing. I believe in it fully, besides the fact that I love doing it. I am very thankful to have the ability!
No matter your opinion, I am continuing. I believe in it fully, besides the fact that I love doing it. I am very thankful to have the ability!
So... it's been quite a bumpy road. But to make it all better, here's Drew breastfeeding his penguin...
![]() |
| Stacey suggested I save this as blackmail material |
I really don't know what to make of it. It's so adorable that he wants to be like Mommy! Jason and I tried SO hard not to laugh, and to explain nicely that boys, unfortunately, can't breastfeed. Drew stated that he CAN breastfeed because he has boobs. If he were a girl I'd be all for it. Not that I'm against it, but... well... boys can't breastfeed! I'm not one to say what girls or boys can or can't do; if he wants to wear a dress, whatever. But boys physically can not breastfeed. Hopefully he'll just be a great supporter if he has a future wife that breastfeeds one day...
P.S. How's this for the complete opposite of "Wordless Wednesday"?
P.S. How's this for the complete opposite of "Wordless Wednesday"?

Actually, I've heard that men can breastfeed. Not sure what all is involved, but they do have the glands and ducts . . .
ReplyDeleteYou know, I forgot that I have read that before. I believe there are medications a man (or even an adoptive mother) can take to try to encourage lactation, but it doesn't always work. And, especially in the case of males, I seem to remember that it's highly unlikely they will produce enough milk for the baby to survive solely on that. Hey, I suppose if he wants to... whatever, right? I assume he's still learning gender roles, though, and just wants to do what he sees us doing. He's been changing his stuffed animals' diapers and putting them in bouncy seats and stuff. He's going to make a good dad some day. :)
DeleteTwo of mine were tongue-tied (as is Stephen). With one, I experienced discomfort and cracked nipples. With the other, it was toe-curling, incredible pain, and dripping blood. The pediatrician didn't do anything about it, even though he was concerned that the baby was not gaining weight appropriately. I wish I'd pushed.
ReplyDeleteIt did get better as they got older and their mouths grew, so it was easier to get a good, comfortable latch.
I actually kind of wished I'd waited. The pediatrician more or less just announced that she was going to do it and did. Since the only issue was some pain, not even cracked nipples or anything, I kind of felt bad that we jumped the gun and put him through that (not that it was really that bad- he nursed happily immediately after with no apparent pain at all- but the idea of having your mouth held open and your tongue cut without anesthesia seemed barbaric!). But we had spoken with friend who decided to have his frenulum clipped in his twenties when having wisdom teeth removed. We asked why he decided to do it when it obviously wasn't an issue anymore and he said it made flossing and oral hygiene easier, but recommended doing it early, before learning to talk, because it was really difficult learning to talk with a tongue that moved differently.
DeleteOur pediatrician did some kind of "procedure" to loosen a tight foreskin on one of our (uncircumcised) sons. I was quite traumatized to see blood at his penis. And, yes, it was unmedicated. Do doctors think babies don't feel pain?
Delete