Thursday, February 4, 2010

Month Five Reflections

Just to clarify, I had found these monthly pregnancy reflection questions on another website, and thought it would be fun to do each month.   It was kind of more exiting at first because I combined a couple of month's questions into one, so there was more to say.  Now it's only a couple of questions, but still fun to think about.

The first time I felt baby kick: I can't really pinpoint an exact first time because I felt a lot of flutters here and there and I wasn't sure if I was feeling actual kicks or just gas bubbles.  I now know that they were actually little kicks.  The first time I was certain I felt kicks though I was sitting doing my medicine (at 6:00 am) and was surprised by how bouncy my tummy felt!  I was sad that I was the only person awake... not only in the house, but that I couldn't really call people.

It felt like: I would describe it as muscle twitches or spasms, kind of like an eyelid twitch (when you're stressed) but much bigger!  That is the big kicks, of course.  Everything else feels like flutters in my tummy or gas bubbles, as mentioned above.  That's what I feel most often and still get excited when I feel bigger kicks that I can feel from the outside.

The strangest food craving I've had is: either Texas Pete pickles (yes, they're pickled in a brine that has hot sauce added, yummy!) or steak!  Steak isn't a strange food craving exactly, but it is for me after having been vegetarian for almost 7 years!  This is part of what made me think I might be having a boy... all the meat and cheese cravings!

This month's prenatal visit taught me that: I need to ask my questions, even if it makes me feel stupid.  I have a right to know what's going on with my body and my baby's!

My hopes: That we'll eventually find some suitable names that we both like!!  We have one we like, but we're just not certain.  I'd like to "meet" baby before making a final decision, but I'd also like to have a narrowed down list of choices before then.

My fears: That we won't get everything together in time.... feeling overwhelmed by all the decisions that have to be made- crib, car seat, stroller, high chair, baby monitor...... what kind of diapers and wipes???  Oh my....

On that note, I've been trying to kind of settle on a nursery theme.  I really don't like how all the sets you find are so matchy matchy. (Side note: if you press ctrl while clicking it will open the page in a new window rather than navigating away from the blog.)  And I also don't like very typical boy themes: cars, sports, and even jungle/animal themes.

I like the idea of kind of solid or simple colors, like brown and green or brown and blue, then adding some touches here and there of a theme we like.  With the above being said, we're kind of thinking of dinosaurs, or golf.  Both fit into those themes that I don't like, but I guess the uniqueness of them make them okay to me.  They're also both "passions" of Jason's, so that makes me enjoy them as well.  Jason is a very avid golf player, and apparently loves dinosaurs (his all-time favorite movie is Jurassic Park, it took me a while to realize that the dinosaur thing went beyond the movies).

It's hard to find bedding in either of these themes, but this is what I've found so far for dinosaurs.  Again, I'd take a piece or two to add to some solid colors or a simple pattern.

For golf I haven't found anything specific, but I really like the green and blue argyle in this photo... my mom says she could make some bedding, which would definitely be a nice touch.



So, I want your opinions.  What do you like? Golf? Dinosaurs? Or something else, like turtles?? (I think this would be really cute too!)

P.S. Floodling already has a cute dinosaur outfit, and a cute golf outfit!! :)  Actually, several dinosaur outfits (one thanks to Bad Aunt Laura!).  The golf outfit was from my mom!  Grandma Simpson I guess.... :P

5 comments:

  1. Diane, I like all your themes. Aunt Laura would identify with the turtles! Blue and green are very calming colors, great for a bedroom. ~ Love, 'Grandma' Simpson

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the turtles too! They have some really nice Nautica boy bedding as well. You don't have to really have to do the whole sail boat thing. But the bedding alone is cute. Very simple. I have Nautica for Noah. But when I was shopping around when I was preggo, I really liked the turtles. Diane don't worry about the way you look you are beautiful. During pregnacy everyone feels like they look horrible. It only gets worse as you get bigger and yes your stomach is going to double. It seems incomperhendable but it is going to happen. It is all worth it in the end. You think you love the baby now just wait until you meet him, their is nothing like it in the world. P.S I hope you could find a couple of things you could use in the stuff I sent. After awhile you won't really even care what it looks like as long as it fits and its not dirty. LOL Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that argyle pattern, Diane. It's nice that you're thinking outside the box for decor ... most themes are too cheesy for me! I think I'm going to keep that arglye print in my back pocket :) Stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andrea- I LOVE the clothes! There is a lot of really cute stuff! I swear Noah must have had an outfit for each day! That's why I wondered if you got some of the stuff from someone else, it seems you would have hardly had to wash anything! Of course, this comes from the perspective of a first time mom assuming babies wear only one outfit a day (I hear that's not the case! :P)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like dinosaurs a lot, and turtles obviously have a special place in my heart. :) I think both themes are really cute, and blue and green are definitely nice calming colors to go with for a bedroom (obviously I would say that, having lived in a blue room for most of my life..). I can't wait to see little Floodling in all his outfits!! So cute!

    ReplyDelete