We're getting a little "cabin fever" around here so my mom, Drew, and I ventured out for a little wintry walk. I can't believe there is still this much snow on the ground here! This is pretty much unheard of in Georgia. It's not uncommon for a patch or two in shaded areas to stick around for a few days, but 5 days after the snow fell this is what we look like:
That's not our house but a random neighbors. Can you tell that the snow is covered in ice?
That's really been the issue. It's isn't that we have snow, but that the roads are icy. And even a northerner will tell you ice is dangerous to drive on. We keep getting just enough melting during the day to make the roads worse again at night (and in the morning, when we ought to be leaving for work). We drove out to get some Mexican last night to relieve some of our cabin fever, and there were several patches that were still pretty bad, even in the less than 1 mile of driving on frequently traveled roads. The salting trucks have been focused on keeping the main interstates clear, so the rest of the Atlanta-area is pretty much just stuck waiting for some sun and warmth.
Here is our house. Our front yard gets a little more sun than others, so we have a little melting, but you can tell there is even still some ice in our driveway.
And here are Drew and I, red cheeked after some chilly fresh air. It was so good to get out though!
The ice is pretty on the snow, but treacherous on the roads. The "melt in the day/freeze at night" conditions are just what it was like when I rolled my car down an embankment years ago. Just after sundown, only going about 25 mph, I stepped lightly on the brakes slowing down to give an oncoming car the one-lane bridge first. Next thing I knew my 3week-old car was doing a slow-mo spin off the road, and then rolled down the bank. No injuries, but conditions were too slipperey for the tow truck to haul my car up until the next day. And I had no idea the roads were even slippery!! So, good to be cautious!
ReplyDeleteLove the rosy cheeks on both of you!
Enjoy the winter,
Pat