Wednesday, November 28, 2012

The scoop

Life in the Flood household is... going. We're surviving and doing relatively well. Here is a little update on all:

Drew: He is absolutely impressive with the amount of language he is learning. Just about every single day he says something that surprises me. Some examples.... recently he has started forming questions properly: "are you sad, Mommy?". He used the word "either" correctly the other day, which surprised me: "do you want grapes?" "No." "Do you want a banana?" "No, not that either!". He tells me what he does at school and says it in full sentences. Today's conversation went something like this: "I sit on the stage. We sing Christmas songs! The blue star is loud. The purple star bounces" (he may say it in perfect sentences, but it may not always make sense to me...). He uses the correct form of verbs, "my hands are dirty!" (not long ago he would have said "is". And only a little bit longer ago he would have said "hands dirty!"). He's showing a lot of sympathy lately- he notices and gets upset if I'm sad and he gets very worried and tries to help soothe James when he cries. He has also started playing pretend a lot. He loves "talking on the phone" and I love listening to his end of the conversation: "I'm at home....Mommy is feeding James.....oh, I see...." The other day he put "diapers" on his motorcycles because they were poopy. Basically he is growing in dramatic leaps and bounds and I can't keep up!



Helping bake cookies

Enjoying the new quilt from Bad Awnt Sue, Grandma Betty, and Grandma

James: His arm is healing well. He sleeps and eats well, and as of today is 10 pounds, 8 ounces, a full 2 pounds since birth! I thought he was much bigger than Drew was at a month, but it turns out he's actually a tad shorter and a hair heavier. He's a fussier baby than Drew was, which has caused me a lot of worries. I've said he's only ever asleep, eating, or crying. I don't know that he's colicky because he's generally pretty easy to calm, but it's different than I remember with Drew. I'm trying to accept that every baby is different, and yet I keep searching for answers. I'm currently going dairy-free to see if it's possibly a cow's milk protein intolerance. It has actually helped a LOT with skin rash, gassiness, and overall fussiness... unfortunately (I LOVE my milk and cheese! During my 7 years as a vegetarian I never once considered going fully vegan because I knew I couldn't give up milk and cheese. The things you do for love!). He's starting to be awake more and enjoys observing everything around him, just like Drew did. He found a finger today and started sucking it when he was crying... we may have another thumb-sucker on our hands.



Trying out the new (rather large) cloth diapers!

Yummy fingers

Me: I have been so thankful that my mom stayed with us for the first month since James' birth. She left on Friday so I'm just now beginning to deal with what it's really like having 2 kids. I'm surviving better than I thought I would, but it's still difficult to get anything done and I feel like poor Drew is left to entertain himself a lot. Thankfully he got fairly used to that while I was pregnant and lazy exhausted all the time. I also went through a bout of mastitis last week, which caused a lot of fatigue (both in recovering from the infection, as well as the amount of time spent feeding and pumping in order to drain the breasts properly and replenish milk supply), and more worries about James (is he eating well enough? Often enough? Latching properly? What about my milk supply now??). Sigh... I thought I'd worry less this time around. Not so.


Jason: He's Jason. He just goes with the flow and is doing well. Thankfully as the days get shorter, he gets home from work earlier (one of the few bright sides to the short winter days). I love being able to have him home for breakfast AND dinner.


So that's the story right now! More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment