Saturday, April 17, 2010

Taste testing

Don't you love when you get to try something before you buy it? Like free samples at the grocery store, or when you go to Baskin Robbins and can get a mini spoon-full of ice cream before you decide if you want a full scoop?
I've had a couple of opportunites to "taste test" this parenting thing the last few weeks.  Though I guess you can't really call it that because once baby gets here I don't really get to decide if I like it or not.  Of course, by that I don't mean whether or not I will actually like my baby.  I love him already! That's not the question.  But I don't really get to choose what "kind of baby" I get.  Like if he'll be one of those calm babies who sleeps a lot, or if he'll be a temperamental one who requires a little more work.  I don't get to pick what kind of personality he will have.  Heck, I don't even get to choose what he looks like!

It's been fun to get a "taste" of what life as a parent might be like though.  Today I got to go see my niece in her first softball game.  It was fun to watch her putting all her new skills to use and to see how proud of herself she was at the end of the game.  It was also funny to watch and listen to the parents in the stands.  I got to imagine myself sitting through many sporting events (because Jason is convinced that Floodling will be a pro-athlete of some sort).  I'm glad I have a little more time before I have to be "soccer-mom" though.

I also watched another "niece" of mine for a little bit today.  We had fun playing on the swings in her backyard, reading books, eating ice pops, practicing ballet, "mowing" the yard... all in a matter of 45 minutes or so!  Wow! Parenting is exhausting!  Gotta love nap time!

I also watched Stacey's 2 month old nephew a few weeks ago.  I took on the job thinking it would be good practice, though I freaked right before-hand... I worried "what if I can't do it? What if it's too hard?  What if I end up leaving this experience more terrified than I already am!?"  Thankfully it wasn't that bad, but it definitely did give me a taste of what things will be like with an infant.  It seemed like I would give him a bottle and change his diaper then all of a sudden it was time to feed and change again!  Several hours seemed to pass in mere minutes... how could two hours have passed already?  Stacey got back and we decided to "run errands" with him to see what that would be like with an infant. It seemed almost impossible to time things... we had to think about where we were going to be... and when... and how we were going to warm up his bottle, where we would change him, how to tote him around in the first place.  Phew!  I can see why so many new moms just don't get out, even though I swore I didn't want to be that way.

So I got my taste-test and even though I don't get to decide to "send it back" or "get a different flavor" I'm excited to see what this parenting thing will bring for me. It won't be too much longer before Floodling is here in my arms! In fact, only 9 more weeks!

This week, your baby measures over 16 inches long. He weighs about 3.3 pounds (try carrying four navel oranges) and is heading into a growth spurt. He can turn his head from side to side, and his arms, legs, and body are beginning to plump out as needed fat accumulates underneath his skin. He's probably moving a lot, too, so you may have trouble sleeping because your baby's kicks and somersaults keep you up. Take comfort: All this moving is a sign that your baby is active and healthy.
I can attest to all that moving! Sometimes I wonder if this boy ever sleeps!  He's also "plumping up" as stated above... the ultrasound tech at our last appointment showed us his face and said "look at those chubby cheeks already!". :)

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe it's only 9 weeks away! I can't wait to see plump little Floodling! :D And I'm sure you'll be amazing at the whole parenting thing, you've been a little mom since you were 12 and started babysitting. :)
    ~Laura

    ReplyDelete