Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Book worm

I had a great conversation with my dad the other day and one of the things we discussed was reading to children.  My sister and I were read to a lot when we were little; it was bedtime tradition to have a story before bed.  I think because of that we both love reading and writing today.

When I used to babysit it just seemed natural to bring books and read to the children.  I remember reading a story to a 9 month old baby in hopes of getting her to stop crying. Pointless to read to a baby some might say, but I completely disagree!  Having done no background research to support my opinion (so strange for me!) I simply believe that reading helps children (and babies!) to learn not only language in general but communication skills.  I think being read to helps children to learn the rhythms of language and learn expressions and emotions.  I also think it's simply great bonding time!  If you have done research, or know of other great reasons for reading to children, please feel free to share!

So I've already started a collection of books for baby Floodling.  In fact I had a "freak out" moment early on in the pregnancy realizing I not only needed all sorts of baby things, but books too!  I know we will collect books over time but I still felt that I needed to have some now.

I started with some of my own childhood favorites, so this is what his collection looks like so far:

and it's companion...
(awesome repetitive books for preschoolers)

and
Just kidding!!!

My list of books I'd love to have includes:

I love the rhyming and rhythm in Dr. Seuss books


The only book Jason remembers being read as a child is this:


It looks like an adorable book about a boy who refuses to eat his oatmeal, so his father proclaims that he will have it morning, noon and night until he learns to eat it right!  So the starving boy resorts to flowers....

So Algernon cooked long and late, and Peter ate and ATE and ATE. He loved to have petunia stew with morning glories poached in dew, escalloped hearts of peony and forsythia fricassee.

Since I have numerous of my own faves on these lists, I thought I should at least include the only one Jason remembers, but it turns out this book is a collecter's item now and is worth around $200!  He thought his grandmother still had the book so we asked her and she thinks she gave it away at a garage sale, sad!

So I'm curious... What books do you remember reading as a child and/or what books did you enjoy reading to your own children? What books would you consider "must-haves" for a child's book collection?

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you already have The Lorax, but that does mean I'll have to find another book to get Floodling. I also love Something from Nothing, and if you don't already have it don't go rushing out to get it. ;) And of course, most of my favorites overlap with yours since we obviously had the same books growing up. Oh, what about the Polar Express? Aww I love reading! :)
    ~Bad Awnt Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Lorax and a few other Dr. Seuss books were $5 at Kohls!

    I forgot about Something for Nothing! That is a very cute book! And I do have The Polar Express, I forgot about it though because Jason put it up with the Christmas stuff. I also got it for $5 on sale after Christmas with a bell AND a music CD! Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read a lot about the benefits of reading during my undergrad program. There have been numerous studies published proclaiming the necessity of beginning at an early age. So start reading to Floodling now! :) I apparently loved some book called The Quilt, which I can't find now and might not be as exciting for a little boy. Dr. Seuss books were all personal faves. I went looking on Amazon.com to jog my memory and saw Caps for Sale, I loved that one. The Velveteen Rabbit is always a favorite too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all the books you listed (though I've never heard of the Boy Who Ate Flowers). The Velveteen Rabbit was one of my childhood favourites. I asked Emily, and she loved the Angelina Ballerina books. Steve's was Where the Wild Things Are.

    ReplyDelete