Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Thoughts...

.. on having a natural birth in a hospital

Jason and I are starting natural birthing classes tonight.  We will also be taking the birthing class offered by the hospital to have a rounded perspective and an open mind, but my intent and aim is to have a natural birth. Besides the great benefits of natural births for both mom and baby, I just think that I don't need an extra cocktail of medications in addition to the ones I'm already on.

With this on my mind along with a recent conversation with a co-worker who had a natural hospital birth, and having completed the maternity center tour at my hospital, I have some thoughts that are plaguing me.

I am worried that...
  • nurses will offer me pain meds at my most vulnerable moments.
  • the nurses will be unfamiliar with natural birth and will either a) freak out (as they did in the case of said co-worker, who ended up with a room full of nurses who just wanted to see a natural birth) or b) they will think they have to do the usual because they don't know otherwise... hook me up to a heart rate monitor for example making me unable to move around the room or insert an IV, not giving me the option to keep myself hydrated and allowing too easy access for inserting medications I don't want.

I don't like that....
  • the hospital requires babies to receive an eye gel in their eyes and a vitamin K shot (good things, I know, I just don't like that I have no choice in the matter).
  • my hospital requires the babies to go to the nursery for an hour of "transition" time to help them adjust from the "womb world" to the "real world".  Would he not adjust just fine in my arms?  Babies used to do it.... and still do in home births.
  • almost immediately after being told that the baby is required to be in the nursery for an hour, we were told that we should keep the baby in our room at all times to prevent infection (H1N1 in particular) and not to send the babies to the nursery over night (I didn't want to do this anyway, but a lot of books tell you to take advantage while you can and get one last night of sleep).
  • the hospital does not allow photos or videos to be taken of the birth.  Again, not something I planned on but I hate that the option is taken away, it just makes me mad.
  • after sharing all these rules and requirements we were told that it is "our body, our baby, our birth" and that we should have it how we want it.
I wish I didn't have to give birth in a hospital.  Unfortunately with my medical issues a home birth is not an option.  I think one of my biggest issues is rules... I never liked being at summer camps because I hated that I had to follow their rules.  I think it's funny that even if the rule doesn't affect me I still get upset... it means I don't have an option and that just makes me mad.

I've been wondering to myself what happens if I don't follow the rules?  Would they kick me out?? ; ) I can't imagine the hospital throwing a laboring woman out onto the street, nor can I imagine cops being called... it does make me laugh though to imagine what it might look like. People who know me well may know that I am usually soft-spoken, especially around strangers, but when my stubborn streak flares you better stay out of my way. (It's always the quiet ones, isn't it?) 

Who knows, maybe you'll see me in the news for giving birth in a jail cell because I refused to wear the provided hospital gown.....

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on going natural! I believe that's the best way for mom and baby, too. If you don't mind some suggestions, here are mine:

    1. GET A DOULA! She's a lady who will fight for your birth choices when you might not be able to. Check out this link to see the wonderful things they help birthing mothers accomplish.

    http://www.douladifference.com/doulaStats.htm

    2. Double check with your hospital about newborn eye prophylaxis and vitamin K injections. They probaly have a waiver you can sign saying you want to forego these procedures--they just don't bring it up 'cause they want money.

    3. Call your doctor(s)out on their double standard of "your body, your baby, your birth" and then all the silly transition/nursery requirements. If you stand your ground, they'll probably back down. They're just used to mothers following blindly.

    4. If they don't back down, and if it's at all possible, consider another hospital that's more mother-friendly. Or maybe a free-standing birth center (a good alternative for mothers who can't have a home birth, but want a less invasive birth than most hospitals offer).

    5. I think it'd be awesome if you gave birth in a jail cell, just to show 'em who's in charge. Stand up for yourself, honey. Don't let those stinky doctors/nurses push you around!

    And last but not least, sorry this is so long...

    6. You're going to be a great mother. I can tell. Anyone who takes the time and effort to care this much about the birth is guaranteed to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An hour of "transition time"? Sounds like bunk to me. Is that only for high-risk births, or is it their "policy" for all deliveries? Either way, it just doesn't make any sense at all.

    Have you thought of writing a birth plan? I only did it for our last delivery, but I was glad I did.

    ReplyDelete