According to Beth, "juxtaposition is the placing of elements in a photo for the purpose of comparing or contrasting them."
I had other plans for this photo (see below) but found my kitties like this on their brand new cat tree and it seemed all too perfect for a "juxtaposition" shot; you've got high-low, in-out, black kitty-orange kitty... even the cats themselves could not be more opposite. Rico (orange) is outgoing, friendly but bossy, loud, and acts like a dog. Jibs (black) is a cat in all senses, meanings, and connotations of the word- he's skittish, he's quiet, and he's moody. This is not my most favorite photograph ever (that's for Day 15, apparently) but I think it reflects them very well- Rico just looks bossy and dominating, ears perked, eyes narrowed, perched high on his pedestal, and Jibs, all dark and hidden in his cubby, looks aloof and sullen. Love my fur babies!
My initial thought when given the theme "juxtaposition" was to capture Drew and Daddy side-by-side, highlighting Drew's creamy, soft skin and Jason's rough 5 o'clock shadow. Unfortunately these did not turn out great either as it was getting late in the evening and there was little light to help. The photos ended up quite grainy (noisy) because of the ISO setting, nonetheless, you know I can't resist sharing a few cute ones...
*UPDATE* I used picnik.com to do a little editing to the above photo to see if I could improve it. I was able to sharpen it a tad and add a vignette, which I think is cute... I am more of a SOOC shooter (straight out of the camera), mostly because I don't have time to edit my photos, but also because I feel I don't really have the "eye" for it either. Anyways... updated photo...
P.S. I'm still using manual settings, but I'm being too lazy to look up the details (ISO, f-stop, etc.). If you really wanna know, which I doubt you do, just ask!


Love the father-son pics!
ReplyDeleteI think you did a good job with the edits on the rough/smooth one.
ReplyDelete