Tuesday, May 3, 2011

God the Artist

In the "live" photography class I took, the teacher talked a lot about camera accessories- lenses, filters, tripods, remote shutter releases.... there is a lot of gear to be had, and a lot of money to be spent. He mentioned, though, that often people find a "niche" in photography- perhaps they like to shoot nature and still-life, or maybe portraits, or maybe even sports action. As you develop your niche you often begin to buy accessories that enhance that type of photography- tripods and remote shutter releases for still-life photography, mega-zoom lenses for sports action, macro lenses for up-close-and-personal photography, flashes for portraits...

While I won't be getting into accessories any time soon (I don't even own my own camera, yet!), I feel like perhaps I am finding that "niche". And I will tell you it is NOT portrait photography! I think I snapped some awesome Easter portraits of Drew, but his monthiversary ones were disastrous. I have yet to try and get photos of my husband as he grouches and complains when I try. Human subjects are too unpredictable and moody!

No, I am finding that I'm really enjoying nature photography. Perhaps because it's easier- more often than not the subject is not moving, which helps a lot. Also, outdoor lighting is so much easier to work with than indoor lighting (or flashes!). Mostly, though, I find it relaxing, and even somewhat spiritual as I study the artwork that God has created.

My roses

Tomato plant
I love that the focus is on the little buds that will become tomatoes

Tufted titmouse

I thought it was a cardinal, but up close he seems too ugly... 

Titmouse again

My irises popped open today!

Look at the color of the bud that hasn't opened yet...
I thought the irises would be that color, so I was surprised
to see this color when they finally opened today!

2 comments:

  1. That is a cardinal, but it appears it has lost the feathers around its eyes ... Maybe a disease of some sort?

    Your flower pictures are gorgeous, and I'm amazed you're able to capture good shots of so many birds. They don't exactly sit still either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the bokeh effect in the second shot of the titmouse. (Can you say "titmouse" without snickering? I can't. I'm only 8.) And I agree - wildlife and inanimate objects are MUCH easier to capture than my kids or husband.

    ReplyDelete