Sunday, May 22, 2011

Does it count?

Drew has had a lot of "firsts" lately... but do they count?

His accomplishment: Drew said his first word!
The real story: Drew fell down and said "ow". The "ow" sound is one of his favorites right now- he says "ow", "how", and "wow" all the time, but not as words, just as sounds (as far as I can tell- though he often makes the "how" sound towards Rico and I wonder if he's trying to "meow")
Does it count? Was "ow" really one of his first words (Lord help us!) or was it just coincidence that he said it when he fell?

His accomplishment: Drew said "mama".
The real story: I put him down on the floor to make him a bottle and he did NOT want to be put down. He wailed then screamed "mama!" while reaching for me.
Does it count? He hasn't said "mama" or even "mmmmm" since.

His accomplishment: Drew stood on his own for 5 solid seconds.
The real story: I set him down to make a bottle and he did NOT want to be set down (common theme?). He crawled to my leg and pulled himself up, then started grasping up at me while crying hysterically. I stepped to the side slightly to grab something and left him standing there, quite literally, screaming at me.
Does it count? He didn't even know he was doing it. He was in the middle of an "I'm screaming so hard I can't breathe" moment. And he hasn't really done it since.

His accomplishment: Drew took his first steps!
The real story: Drew was playing with Daddy while I made a bottle (seriously!). I sat down in the living room with the bottle and when Drew saw it, he WANTED it. Jason took his hands and they "walked" towards me, Drew screaming the whole time. Jason let go and Drew flung himself towards me, falling into my arms, but managing a few steps along the way.
Does it count? Did he actually walk or did he really just "fall" into my arms?

Drew's baby book has spots to write the dates of his "firsts" but it is so hard to tell when that actual "first" time is. With sitting, rolling, and crawling it all happened so gradually... one day it was like "I guess he really can crawl now, huh?". What counts as the "first"?

First time.... oh, who am I kidding?
This isn't a first, it's just cute and I wanted
to add it!

2 comments:

  1. Those firsts are so hard to catch. I think I eventually gave up. (My kids' baby books are pathetic.) But every time one of the kids has been referred to any kind of developmental specialist/speech therapist/psychiatrist, they all want to know about those infamous milestones. My stock answer is, "I can't remember, but there was no reason to be concerned," which generally satisfies them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think at least some of them count. The Mama and the standing for sure because he did them without thinking about it. It shows ability. When he is thinking, he isn't as sure of himself so he won't do it. To me it doesn't so much matter about consistency.

    ReplyDelete