I'm actually writing with the hopes of getting some of your opinions. You all have been awfully quiet lately! I know most of the time I'm just writing about daily things that happen and nothing needs to be said, but this time I want to hear from you! :)
The first book I am reading is about the Bradley Method of natural childbirth. I will start off by first saying I am NOT thinking of having a home birth. What is meant by "natural childbirth" is a birth that is unaided by the use of medications, whether for pain or for inducing labor, it does not mean I can't be at a hospital or have an obstetrician aiding in the birth. I've been asked by several people if I plan to have a natural birth (kind of a weird question in my opinion) and my resounding answer for the longest time was "NO!". You hear from friends and family and see on TV just how "painful" labor is.... so no, I did not think I wanted to do a natural birth. I am NOT a brave person, nor do I deal with pain very well. I saw natural birth as something women do to be seen as "heroic". In addition, I know that I have my own medical needs and complications, possibly making a natural birth difficult.
So how did I get to thinking (notice I'm saying thinking) about natural birth then? A teacher at my school had a baby over Christmas break. Upon her return she told me she had a number of pregnancy books and asked if I would like them as this was her LAST child (she had a lot of health issues with both her pregnancies). The next day I took home a large bag of books, among them The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy, The Complete Book of Breastfeeding, Hypnobirthing, Communing with the Spirit of your Unborn Child, and The Bradley Method. A lot of them (Hynobirthing and Communing with the Spirit... for example) seemed a little too...weird... for me. I passed them aside and dug through the others. I opened the book on the Bradley Method not really knowing what it was and thinking it seemed like something maybe along the lines of Lamaze. I quickly discovered it was a method for natural childbirth, but read on curious about its theories.
So this is what I've gleaned so far (keep in mind, these are not MY opinions, this is what I've read from a one-sided book):
- Labor drugs do enter the baby's bloodstream before birth, and can carry with them risks to both mother and baby
- Epidurals often slow the labor process then forcing doctors to use pitocin to again speed up the labor which may then again cause very painful contractions
- Epidurals don't always numb all of the pain
- If an epidural numbs the muscles needed to push the baby out then forceps or vacuums have to be used to extract the baby (in turn often leading to necessary episiotomy...or tearing....)
- Unmedicated babies have a natural tendency to help push themselves out and to spin to pass properly through the birth canal
- A lot of the pain in labor is caused by the tensing of ALL the muscles in the body during contractions. The theory behind this method is that by relaxing all of your muscles and allowing your uterine muscles to do their job (and understanding what they're doing) you can handle (and maybe even avoid) the pain.
"The myth is that the medicated labor is painless. But it is the medicated mother who later talks most about pain (and it is she who is often seen during labor suffering and out of control). She may have thought drugs would see her through labor, so she didn't take the opportunity to get her mind and body ready. In contrast the trained, natural-childbirth mothers talk primarily of hard work..."I know of one person in particular that after her epidural was still in pain. She also had to have pitocin to speed up the labor process but things still didn't move at an appropriate pace and she ended up having to have a C-Section. But I also have (as mentioned above) friends who had epidurals, and one even then had pitocin, and they felt nothing and everything went "normally".
I've searched online for opponents to the Bradley Method curious what they have to say against it. Honestly, I had a hard time finding anything. There are a lot of women who have had medicated births followed by Bradley Births who all rave of how much better it is the Bradley way. The biggest negative factor I've found is that apparently a lot of Labor and Delivery nurses and obstetricians dislike Bradley patients for being demanding and being hostile to medical interventions. I am obviously not a person that is against medical intervention (who knows where I'd be if I were!) and I don't imagine myself being hostile or demanding.
Some opinions I found (from a neutral site):
"The knowledge about the anatomy/physiology and psychology provided by Bradley can't be beat. And you are smart/savvy enough to know not to incorporate any hostile attitudes about health care providers, if you choose not to. It can't hurt to gain the knowledge you would get taking these classes. And if you do choose anesthesia in labor for some reason, that's ok. You will still be smart and go in informed about your body and its workings in labor and delivery, something NO ONE can take away from you!"
"Tried both methods. Bradley teaches you how to relax and work with the labor you get--hard or easy. It better prepares you for releasing your body to the process of labor, for what childbirth will feel like and how to manage it by not fighting your body. It helps reduce some of that Fear-leads-to-Tension-leads-to-Pain cycle that birthing can cause so well. Lamaze works OK to start with, but was worthless once real hard labor started. Bradley Method was by far the best...."If I do choose to go with a natural childbirth, I am not set in any one method (yet, at least). I did talk to my Ob/Gyn about natural childbirth and the Bradley method. He said I would likely be viewed as "weird" as it's not the normal thing to do these days, but he often enjoys natural births as it makes his job a lot easier and often times the delivery room environment is more inviting. I think the fact that his job is made "a lot easier" says something in itself, not to mention a "more inviting" room (ie. no screaming and cussing!). His concern was allowing him to do his job if an emergency situation should arise, but otherwise he had no problem with it, and of course if it came to the health and safety of my baby I'd do what was necessary. He also didn't seem to have any concern over my own medical situation interfering.
I should also mention that if I were to take Bradley Method courses it costs about $300 (eek!)... it is a 12 week class though that not only prepares you in this method, but also prepares you for breastfeeding and a lot of other things that come along with childbirth and having an infant.
So this is what I'm looking for... all of you moms out there, what is your opinion? Am I crazy? Is this book a load of... you know what....? Did you have a natural childbirth or a "medicated" childbirth? Either way, how did it go? If you had medicated, did you still have pain? Is there anyone that has done both? Non-moms, I'm sure you have an opinion too. What do you think??? I like to think I am open-minded (thus the reason this is even coming into question) so please feel free to share honestly! Don't be mean, but I would appreciate others' true and honest opinions.
I will share more on the second book I'm reading later... :)
I went through a 'medicated' birth first time and a natural birth the second time. In my opinion, natural is the preferred way to go. I'll discuss more on the phone with you. Love, 'Grandma' Simpson
ReplyDeleteI am pregnant due around the same time as you. I'm due june 18th. I havent thought for one single second about giving birth. I'm more afraid of not being able to sleep in the hospital due to other people being around and not being in my own bed. And not being able to sleep at home after the baby is born. I have chronic insomnia and that is all that is on my mind. I literally cry at least 3 times a week from lack of sleep and yet people laugh at me and they say "you think it's bad now? just wait." And i want to smack them. I dont think i am ready to make a birth plan and honestly i dont think things will go according to plan even if you try to plan something so i might not even bother and just let the hospital do whatever they need to do routinely and try to mentally block out the whole thing.
ReplyDelete@Jennifer, talk to your doctor about Melatonin, a natural supplement that tells your body it is nighttime. It is NOT a sedative and does not induce sleep. I just don't know what the implications are for pregnancy. But it helps me.
ReplyDelete@Diane, I did unmedicated three times and finally got an epidural for the last one. I think knowing what your body is doing and how to help it get there is vitally important because you really never know how fast your labour will progress and whether you'll even get a chance to have pain medication. Having said that, I highly recommend the epidural. It was my only delivery that didn't require an episiotomy (much to be avoided) and the delivery about which I have the most positive memories. Unmedicated - especially rapid - labour can be emotionally traumatic, which really doesn't help with post-delivery bonding and recuperation. But, as you can see by reading your mom's post, each woman - and indeed each delivery - is different. My advice: be prepared to go drug-free, but don't beat yourself up if you accept what modern medicine has to offer.
Thank you Wynn Anne! I was very much looking for an opinion opposite of my mom's just to see what has to be said from that point of view too. It sounds like you have had very quick deliveries (?)(my book calls that the "speedster"). And you're right, I have no idea what I can expect until I go through it! It's kind of funny... my mom had to have an episiotomy with me (the "medicated" birth) but not with Laura (the natural birth)... opposite from you it seems! Guess you really can't predict what will happen... you're very right, I think it's best to be prepared either way.
ReplyDelete@Jennifer, my "expected" due date is the 17th! I can understand wanting to avoid the topic altogether! I did for a long time too! And I don't know that I would have paid much attention if it weren't for coming across this book! Hoping you'll find a way to ease the insomnia... maybe having to take care of a baby will be tiring enough to help you sleep and it will actually be better. :P
P.S. If you want to comment but don't want to sign in you can post "anonymously" then just sign your name. Or you can e-mail me if you don't want to share your opinions publicly! Senoraflood at gmail. :)
ReplyDeleteAfter my own research, as well as opinions and experiences from friends and relatives, I had planned to go with a medicated delivery. Unfortunately, that was not body's plan. After 6 hours of intense labor, I finally reach 4 cm. The doctors gave me the epideral at that time. After 6 additional hours on the epideral, and no physical changes, we opted for a c-section. Fortunately, I had a friend that "highly" recommended that I read up on the process of a c-section, just to be prepared......in case. I'm glad that I did read up so that I was prepared for the procedure. Again, only you and your body will know what is your best delivery option. ~ Donna
ReplyDeleteDiane, I had the same experience as "Grandma" Simpson. It seemed that the medicated birth the first time around left me very tired and hard to get up out of bed for a few days after the birth. After the natural child birth the second time around I was up and walking down the halls within hours. It could also be something to do with that we knew what was happening the second time around and what to expect, but for the first we were a little stressed and anxious, so things slowed down and medication was needed to get things to progress. The key is to be knowledgeable of what is going to happen(which you seem to be doing) and listen to the doctor and nurses to advise you of what you need to do to make it safe for you and the baby. Love Aunt Christine
ReplyDeleteThank you everyone for sharing your stories and input!!!!
ReplyDelete