Thursday, September 2, 2010

Catching some Zzzzs

For some reason when you have a new baby people love to ask how well the baby sleeps at night.  And if I was a mom of a baby who slept in 3 hour intervals I would probably be pretty close to biting someone's head off by now.

Thankfully people can keep their heads intact as Drew has been a great sleeper since Day 1.  I worried that most of that was due to the fact that he was a newborn and newborns sleep a lot, but he has kept right at it.  He started out sleeping 5 hours or so at night and has steadily progressed to 9+ hours now.  And I have yet to actually wake to him crying.  He'll sort of "stir" for a minute or two but generally goes right back to sleep, so I usually end up just waking him up during one of his "stirring moments" when I'm ready for him to eat.  I'm curious how long this guy would sleep if I just let him go....


Too perfect, isn't it?
Nap time!

Wait, did you see it? He's sleeping in his crib now! Not just for naps but for bed time too! Yay me!

You may have also noticed two other things (besides the thumb-sucking :-/)... First, since he has a lot more space now that he's in the crib instead of the bassinet, I've found that he likes to "spin" in his sleep (yet another trait seemingly inherited from Bad Awnt Laura!). I often come in to find he has done a 90 degree turn making it incredibly awkward to get him out- more often than not his legs are facing the back wall and his head facing the front of the crib... try picking a baby up like that!  He also now likes to sleep on his side.  That was a lot harder in the bassinet too as it requires him to fling his legs to the side to accomplish (video to come).

Whatever which way he sleeps is fine with me though because the more he sleeps, the more I sleep, and if anyone knows me they know I love my sleep! (I guess Drew takes after me on that one!)

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on transitioning from the bassinet to the crib - a lot of babies have a really hard time with that. And YAHOOO! that he still likes to sleep. You are one lucky mama.

    ReplyDelete