Thursday, September 30, 2010

Look what Drew can do!



He's actually been doing this for a little while (as you may have noted in his 3 month pics) but I haven't gotten around to posting pictures.

Now, enough about Drew, look what I can do! (If you don't know me well enough by now to sense my attempt at humor you should probably stop reading my blog!)


I can sew! You didn't know that? Neither did I! I mean, I've done a good bit of sewing in my lifetime, but it's always been under someone's watchful eye (usually my grandmother's), or, if not, it's been simple squares and rectangles. Remember the changing pad covers I made?


But this time I sewed something, something round and curvy, something two-sided, something requiring hems and metal D-rings, all by myself!

Ok, so you may be wondering, "what exactly is that?"  It's a nursing shawl!  It allows me to feed Drew in public while staying covered up and not having to do one-handed battle with a slippery blanket.


I do have to admit that my Grandma sewed one first. She made the pattern from another shawl that I have but didn't like the color or fabric of.  Here's hers (with Drew beneath it!)

Yes, it's supposed to gape just a tad so I can see him while he's nursing
After she left I decided I wanted to try to do one myself.  Not because I need 3 shawls (I don't know what to do with all of them now!) but just to prove to myself that I could.  And I can!

I also sewed these, but they seem a little less spectacular now.

Burp cloths made under said watchful eye of my grandmother
Burp cloths made by myself and Stace!

3 comments:

  1. Hahaha, watch out for the sewing fiend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I'm planning to make some of the "microwave mitts" with the extra fabric from both shawls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you're such a good little mother! ;) I love Drew peeking out of the shawl. And if you get a chance, I could use some new clothes, pillows, microwave mitts... pretty much anything. I'll babysit Drew so you can have more sewing time! ;)

    ReplyDelete