Monday, May 31, 2010

One size fits all?

As I've been working on getting the nursery ready I've found that the most difficult thing has been sizing clothes!  Baby clothes seem to be worse than women's jeans!  One size can range anywhere from tiny to huge!  Here are some examples:

Both of these onesies are labeled "0-3 months"

In this case the onesie on top (same as the one above) is of course "0-3 months" but the one on the bottom is labeled "Newborn" (technically a "smaller" size)

Here, the pants on the left are "6 months" and the pants on the right are "0-3 months"

How are you supposed to organize anything?  I fear putting something in the "wrong category"... not because I'm obsessive like that (or maybe I should say not just because I'm obsessive like that) but because if I put something kind of small with bigger sizes then it may end up being too small by the time I get to that stack...

You'd think it would be easy enough to determine a basic "newborn" "0-3 month" and "3-6 month" then compare everything else to the "standard" but you run into issues like this:

Both are labeled "3-6 months" but one is long and thin, the other short and wide.... 

What do you do what that??  Do I organize by length or width??  If I put the wide one with the smaller sizes (because of it's length) then it ends up being wide and stupid looking, right? But if I put it with the bigger sizes then it may be too short....

All I do know for sure is that Floodling has plenty of clothes to get him through the first three months and beyond!
 
 His drawers are already packed full!!

And just a side note.... can you believe this?  First time through the wash and there's already a "lonesome" sock!



 UPDATE: I found the missing sock!  It turned up THREE loads later in the washer with a load of black and red clothes!  Floodling now has one pink sock (unless I can "shout it out").

3 comments:

  1. I hated finding out about the size difference!! My doctor told me I would probably need to buy premie clothes which puzzles me even more.>>>ummm because i'm not having a premie. so...?? I dont really understand ya know? so lame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the first couple of weeks, even the "newborn"-sized clothes will seem large, believe it or not. Once feeding (and gaining weight) is established, they grow through the newborn stuff in record time. (I remember we could almost *see* Peter growing from one day to the next. That boy was a feeder!)

    But for the OCD among us, organizing those little clothes is a frustrating endeavour. Just remember to keep the really cute ones handy and keep trying them on, so you don't miss the window of opportunity. (Girls are easier because those tiny dresses can be a little too long or a little too short without looking like they really don't fit.)

    P.S. I take it you dodged the gestational diabetes bullet. Yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I never did mention that I passed both the glucose tests, yay! So happy I didn't have to go down that path!

    ReplyDelete