Since about week 8 this has been my daily routine:
Cocoa butter lotion for the day and belly butter at night. So far they seem to be working well, but as I'm entering the third trimester and knowing that I have a LOT more growing to do (if Floodling only weighs 2.5 lbs. now and will weigh about 7 by the end, that means he's going to at least double!) I'm worried about what is to come.
Pregnancy books and websites say that stretch marks are mostly inevitable unless you have great genes (or awesome super-hydrated skin from years of treating it perfectly). They say to look at your mom for a "sneak peak" as to whether or not you'll get stretch marks. I don't even have to look at my mom because I already have stretch marks on my hips.... from what I don't know... puberty? General weight gain? In any case most sources say that creams and lotions will do nothing if your skin is prone to stretch marks....
I have a friend who used the stretch mark lotions and said she avoided the marks until the last three weeks of pregnancy when she said she got lazy... but I'm curious if that really had anything to do with it? If she had continued using the creams would she really have kept the lines at bay? Or did she just grow so much in that last little bit that it was unavoidable?
I don't really know why I'm so concerned anyway... I've never been proud of my tummy area and I've never had a "beach perfect" body. I know Jason won't care (and probably won't even notice). The pregnancy books claim that stretch marks are a "medal of honor" proving what my body went through and accomplished. But I always see those marks on my hips... and they just bother me. (Sigh... women...)
So my question for you "been there, done that" crowd (or the "I'm here, doing that" group too!) is, did you get stretch marks? If so, when? If not, do you think you did something in particular to prevent them? Do you think the fact that I've avoided them so far says anything at all??
In any case, if I do manage to avoid the stretch marks I will completely attribute it to the lotions.... I will keep you all posted! ;)

Speaking of growing a lot, isn't it about time for you to post another belly photo? I'm excited to see you again! :) And sorry I have zero input on the stretch marks thing. I hate to say it, but I think my skin is prone to scarring, so let's just hope you lucked out and didn't get those genes. :)
ReplyDelete~Laura
No stretch marks for me so far. No lotions, either. I'm just praying I'm lucky. We'll see--11 weeks left to go. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteI didn't get stretch marks until the end of the third trimester when the baby really is growing fast.
ReplyDeleteWynn Anne, that's what I was afraid of- that most of the stretch marks pop up at the end... oh well, at least the lotions keep my skin soft and not dry and itchy (as I hear is fairly common....)
ReplyDelete