Saturday, August 14, 2010

Bad Mommy

No, I know I'm not truly a bad Mommy, but I sure felt like it yesterday morning!  Drew and I had a nice sleep in and were lounging around in bed at around 10:00.  He was hungry and I was feeding him.  We had finished on one side and I was trying to see if he was still hungry enough for the other when I saw this....


...on my arm. That arm... yeah, the one right under Drew's head. You may know that I despise bugs... actually, it's not even just a hate thing, it's truly a phobia thing.  (Do you remember the tick incident that ended with me throwing up??)  What did I do? Well, thankfully I didn't throw Drew... which, to be honest, had it been anything else in my arms it would probably have ended up lodged in the wall across from me, but I jerkily tried to flick it away with my free arm while shrieking and jumping out of the bed with him in my arms.  What did he do?  He started shrieking too.

This was not from the actual incident
I felt so horrible.  It takes a lot to make Drew cry, especially like that.  But I was still in panic mode and stripped him down, him shrieking and all, to ensure the bug was not in his clothing (I did not see where it went after the flicking), then stripped myself down (and clawed my back a few times when I felt some tickles back there) to ensure it was also not on me.  I then tried to give him his pacifier to help him calm down and couldn't even manage to do that because my hands were too shaky.  I picked him up and just stood, naked, hugging him while he finally started calming down.  He gave me a few good pouts, then was finally ok enough to give me a few smiles...

This was from the actual incident
And yes, my hands were obviously still shaky
I'm glad to know that, even faced with the obvious danger of a bug ;) I didn't go throwing or physically harming my child, but I still feel horrible for reacting that way.  Let's hope he spends a little more time with Daddy and not Mommy when around bugs or he may just develop my phobia too...

To top off my morning and make sure it was absolutely spectacular Drew put on a distance peeing performance for Mommy (or maybe it was just a way of getting back at me).  Check this out:

Funny enough, see that little red book in the corner? I'ts called Once Upon a Potty.  He actually peed on that too.
Remember the pics of the nursery?  That stool is a fair enough distance from the changing table...

2 comments:

  1. I think we're all pretty glad you didn't toss Drew! But (as you already know if you've been following my blog), I can really relate to your phobia.

    I'll spare you the story of the cockroach that Steve ended up killing with a pillow. (Nothing like a screaming, pregnant wife to make a man do heroic things.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I have my own cockroach in bed story, but it didn't end with a heroic man, it ended with a seventy-year old Costa Rican grandmother saving me! "Cucaracha!!"

    ReplyDelete