Sunday, August 8, 2010

Breast is Best

For me, at least.

I know I already posted today, but I meant to do a post in honor of World Breastfeeding Week but I completely forgot!  I actually missed it by a day (it was August 1-7), but thought I'd still write a little something.

Despite my title I am not here to tell you you're wrong if you choose/chose to formula feed.  I simply want to tell you the reasons that I personally love breastfeeding.  I know and understand that some people are unable to breastfeed (I have a good friend who lost both breasts to breast cancer), and others simply make a decision that works best for them and their little ones, so please don't think I'm trying to be preachy!

The 6 reasons I love breastfeeding:

Excuse my ugly wet hair, please!
  1. Bonding. I love the closeness I feel when I am feeding Drew.  I love the way we snuggle in different positions.  I love the way his eyes look up into mine.  I love the little sounds he makes.  I love the feel of his skin on mine and the way he often "pets" me with his hands while he eats.
  2. It's cheap!  Actually, it's free!  I don't have to pay for formula or bottles, or even "nursery water".  I purchased a cheap hand pump for those times when Drew sleeps through a feeding, and of course I have a few bottles, but otherwise I don't have to pay anything to feed my child!
  3. It's convenient and fast.  When we go out I don't have to pack formula, bottles, and water.  I don't have to count how many hours we'll be out to figure out how many bottles to pack or worry about where I'll warm it up.  Even at home it's faster to breast feed; I don't have to spend time mixing and heating formula, nor do I have to wash and sterilize bottles every day.  That's perfect for me because I hate doing dishes!
  4. It helps me get my body back!  If I didn't have to worry about my weight (because of my CF) I would love the fact that the pounds are just falling off!  Actually, because of that, I love the fact that I can eat as many desserts as I want and I can snack all day long!  I also love the fact that breastfeeding actually helps the uterus contract back to it's original (or close to) size faster.
  5. It's healthy for Drew!  Numerous studies link breastfeeding to many benefits for baby including higher IQs, better immune systems, and lower risk for obesity, cancer, allergies, and asthma.
  6. Pride.  It makes me feel pretty good to know that my body is capable of such an amazing task (second only to actually growing and delivering a baby!).  It's awesome to know that my body can fully provide for my child.
I do have to say that living in the South, especially, makes breastfeeding a little inconvenient because here in the South we're a little modest.  Though to be honest I think just about everywhere breastfeeding is somewhat "taboo" in public because it has fallen out of favor (though I think it's coming back).  I can't tell you the last time I saw a woman breastfeeding, not even under a blanket or wrap, in a public place.  I guess I'll be changing that!  Yes, I will be covered, but I will not let breastfeeding confine me to my house. :)

P.S.  Don't forget to check out the poll below with the extra picture I added!

3 comments:

  1. With baby number 1 - in Alabama - I was very modest about nursing. I used to find dressing rooms or private places. By the time number three came along, none of those quiet/private places were big enough to accommodate me, the baby, the stroller, the bag - along with the older siblings. So I got better and braver about discretely feeding the baby wherever my toddlers were playing. Only twice did I get disapproving "looks" - both times from men. I just ignored them.

    So, you go, girl! Do what's right for you and your baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe Canada (or southern Ontario?) is a little different, but we seem to see breastfeeding fairly often. Most recent "sighting", was just today in my office waiting room, which had mixed company..male/female, young and old. Nobody seemed phased at all.
    Love, Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really do think being in the South has a lot to do with it. I'm happy to know that there are places where it is perfectly acceptable! I'm not even looking to be able to whip my boob out in public view, just to simply be able to do it covered without getting accusatory and/or disgusted glances. (I have yet to actually experience that, though I know women who have).

    ReplyDelete