And it seriously took 3 days to get a picture I liked! Seriously. I kind of suspected that the theme for Day 2 would be "new" (this is a class entitled "Opposites" after all) so I headed outside with my new purple basil plant. I had literally just bought it, so it was obviously new. And it's obviously a young plant, making it new in that aspect as well. On top of that, I had never heard of purple basil until I read about it in the newspaper a few days ago, thus making it "new to me" (and I happened to find this purple basil plant at the entrance to Whole Foods only a day or two after reading about it!). So I headed outside with my new plant to snap a few photos...
| Bleck! All around, bleck. f/4.5, 1/25 |
I didn't love anything I came out with. Then, when I received the actual assignment in my email, Beth talked about perspective. I had hit the plant straight on. So boring. So I headed out the next day and played around with different angles.
| From above, with a "blah" cement background f/4.5, 1/400 |
| From below, but overexposed (I think... I'm really not good at this) f/4.5, 1/200 |
I still wasn't in love, so I tried once more. It sort of feels like waiting to get film developed (though not really that long, my aunt Wynn Anne will tell you about that!) because I really have no idea what I ended up with until I get the photos up on my computer. The camera screen is so tiny, and I think things look good and in focus until I pull them up on my computer and realize things weren't as they seemed. I don't get a chance to do that until the evenings, when Drew is in bed and I'm stuck doing my meds, so if I don't like my photos, I have to wait until the next day to try again. So day 3 of attempting to photograph my purple basil turned out like this:
| Oooh, green and purple! f/4.5, 1/500 |
| Wish I had focused a little better... f/4.5, 1/500 |
By the way, I wish you could smell these photos! That purple basil smells awesome! (And tastes pretty awesome, too! I already snipped off a few leaves for a fresh mozzarella, tomato, pesto sandwich... yeah, I'm ready for summer!)
Oh, and while I was cleaning out the fridge as I mentioned yesterday, I looked at all my bottles of expired dressings and marinades I had lined up on the counter and thought, "that would have made a good picture for 'old'" so I snapped a photo (using my newly learned perspective techniques, of course!)...
| f/3.5, 1/20 |
I'm having fun! I can tell I really am learning something and getting better already (and we're only a few days in!). I mean, just look at the progression of photos of my purple basil! I'm still haphazardly changing settings on the camera and don't really know if a photo turns out right (over/underexposed, etc.) but I'm getting there! I'm looking forward to playing around tomorrow so I can do our Day 3 assignment: "In"
P.S. I cannot find my ISO! My computer has no info in that spot! It's literally blank. Where everything else has a number, there's nothing next to ISO. And I of course don't remember what I had it set at for any of these.
I like the one of the basil on the grassy background best. I've never heard of purple basil before either. (I pronounce it "bah-zil," but most of my American friends say, "bay-zil." How do you pronounce it?) Does your computer have a field for ASA? It's another acronym used for the same thing. I found my info by right-clicking in Windows Explorer, using Windows 7.
ReplyDelete